Chancellor John Harrelson
J. W. (John William) Harrelson (1885-1955): Harrelson graduated from N.C. State College in 1905 with a Bachelor of Engineering degree, staying on as an Instructor in Mathematics. In 1934 Harrelson became Head of the Mathematics Department. He served as an Officer in the Army Reserves and saw active duty in both World Wars. Between wars, he served as Director of the Department of Conservation, North Carolina from 1929-1933. Harrelson was Chancellor of N.C. State College from 1934-1953. During his 19 year administration Harrelson led State College through its two largest building programs, including 7 dorms, 11 new and 4 renovated teaching-research-extension buildings, a new library, Reynolds Coliseum, a College Union, and a nuclear reactor for civilian training. The NCSC student population was 1,800 in 1934 when he became Chancellor, and grew to 4,000 students when he retired in 1953. Harrelson Hall, the round classroom/office building facing the Brickyard at NC State, was named in his honor.
Black-and-white print (photograph)
Reproduction and use of this material requires permission from North Carolina State University. For general information see the NCSU Libraries Special Collections Research Center website (http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/specialcollections/research).