North Carolina State University. College of Textiles
Tompkins Hall (Raleigh, N.C.)
First Row: H. G. Lyon, Creedmoore, N.C.; D. B. Hardin, Instructior in Knitting and Designing; T. R. Hart, Associate Professor of Weaving and Designing; Thomas Nelson, Dean of Textile School; A. H. Grimshaw, Associate Professor of Textile Chemistry and Dyeing; J. T. Hilton, Associate Professor of Yarn Manufacturing; W. R. Wands, Spencer, N.C.; P. H. Burrus, Jr., Columbus, Ga.; Second Row: E. W. Freeze, Jr., High Point, N.C.; G. L. Patterson, Concord, N.C.; D. J. Crowell, Concord, N.C.; J. H. Tatum, Opelika, Ala.; G. W. Byrd, La Grange, N.C.; J. D. Milstead, Hiddentite, N.C.; C. N. Cone, Jr., Greensboro, N.C.; J. E. Gill, Henderson, N.C.; S. W. Bright, Sea Gate, N.C.; J. Y. Bass, Birmingham, Ala.; E. W. Crow, Mocksville, N.C.; Eugene Cross, Jr. Marion, N.C.; Back Row: J. D. Honeycutt, Gold Hill, N.C.; E. M. Boyette, Goldsboro, N.C.; Jurgen Haar, Wilmington, N.C.; H. C. Carter, Wallace, N.C.; M. A. Carpenter, Lincolnton, N.C.; N. R. Whitener, Gastonia, N.C.; T. G. Tyson, Burlington, N.C.; C. A. Boggs, Richlands, N.C.; J. B. Lamar, Spray, N.C.; J. C. Barnhardt, Charlotte, N.C.; M. A. Law, Paw Creek, N. C.; Missing: O. J. Mullaney, Jr., Hyannis, Mass.; K. K. Thomas, India
Thomas Nelson (1872-1953): Nelson attended the Preston (England) Technical School. He was awarded a certificate for weaving and designing in 1891 by the City and Guilds of London. Nelson became Professor of Textiles and Head of the Textile Department in 1906. In 1924 the School of Textiles was created and Nelson became the first Dean. In 1926 the NC State College conferred upon him the honorary degree of Doctor of Science in recognition of his 25 years of service with the college. He was elected first president of the newly-formed National Council of Textile School Deans in 1943. Nelson helped organize the Southern Textile Association. He did much to advance the School of Textiles to international prominence. He retired in 1943, but continued to serve on the faculty as Professor of Designing until 1948.