Hillsborough Street (Raleigh, N.C.)
Clyde Roark Hoey (1877-1954): Governor of North Carolina between 1937-1941.
Frank Porter Graham (1886-1972): Frank Graham was born in Fayetteville, N.C., 14 October 1886. A graduate of the University of North Carolina and Columbia University, he received his license in Law in 1913. He served as Professor of History at UNC between 1915-1930, with a stint in the Marine Corps during World War I. He became President of the University of North Carolina in 1930, serving until 1949, when he was nominated by NC Gov. W. Kerr Scott to fill a vacancy in the U.S. Senate created by the death of Sen. J. Melville Broughton. Graham lost in his bid for the Democratic Senate nomination in 1950, and was replaced by former NC House member Willis Smith. Between 1951 and his retirement in 1967, Graham acted as a mediator for the United Nations. The Student Union center at UNC is named in his honor.
In a 1941 file, (From left to right) Governor Clyde R. Hoey; President Frank P. Graham; Chancellor W. C. Jackson, Women’s College; Chancellor R. B. House, University of N.C.; Chancellor J. W. Harrelson, State College; Controller W. D. Carmichael, Jr., University.
J. W. (John William) Harrelson (1885-1955): Harrelson graduated from N.C. State College in 1905 with a Bachelor of Engineering degree, staying on as an Instructor in Mathematics. In 1934 Harrelson became Head of the Mathematics Department. He served as an Officer in the Army Reserves and saw active duty in both World Wars. Between wars, he served as Director of the Department of Conservation, North Carolina from 1929-1933. Harrelson was Chancellor of N.C. State College from 1934-1953. During his 19 year administration Harrelson led State College through its two largest building programs, including 7 dorms, 11 new and 4 renovated teaching-research-extension buildings, a new library, Reynolds Coliseum, a College Union, and a nuclear reactor for civilian training. The NCSC student population was 1,800 in 1934 when he became Chancellor, and grew to 4,000 students when he retired in 1953. Harrelson Hall, the round classroom/office building facing the Brickyard at NC State, was named in his honor.