Benjamin Franklin Brown (1881-1971): Dean of School of Science and Business and, when his title changed, Dean of the Basic Division of College from 1923-1948 and then Dean Emeritus until his death in 1971.
Ira Obed Schaub (1880-1971): Ira Obed Schaub graduated from NCSC in 1900 before attending Johns Hopkins University for his Doctorate. In 1909 Schaub inaugurated 4-H Club work in North Carolina and eventually became (in 1924) Director of Extension Service. Schaub served in that capacity until his retirement in 1950. Schaub was also Dean of Agriculture from 1926-1945 and Acting Director of the Experiment Station from 1937-1940.
J. W. (John William) Harrelson (1885-1955): Harrelson graduated from N.C. State College in 1905 with a Bachelor of Engineering degree, staying on as an Instructor in Mathematics. In 1934 Harrelson became Head of the Mathematics Department. He served as an Officer in the Army Reserves and saw active duty in both World Wars. Between wars, he served as Director of the Department of Conservation, North Carolina from 1929-1933. Harrelson was Chancellor of N.C. State College from 1934-1953. During his 19 year administration Harrelson led State College through its two largest building programs, including 7 dorms, 11 new and 4 renovated teaching-research-extension buildings, a new library, Reynolds Coliseum, a College Union, and a nuclear reactor for civilian training. The NCSC student population was 1,800 in 1934 when he became Chancellor, and grew to 4,000 students when he retired in 1953. Harrelson Hall, the round classroom/office building facing the Brickyard at NC State, was named in his honor.
Jasper Leonidas Stuckey (1891-1979): Stuckey received his Ph.D. in Geology from Cornell University in 1924. He became the first State Geologist from 1925-1926. Stuckey was Professor of Geology at N.C. State in 1926. From 1927-1954 he was Head, Department of Geology, N.C. State. He became State Geologist again in 1940 on a part-time basis. In 1946 Dr. Stuckey became the first Director of the Minerals Research Laboratory in Asheville. He left N.C. State in 1955. He retired as State Geologist in 1964.
The individuals positioned (from the left) second and fourth in the photo are unidentified. Left to Right - Dean Thomas Nelson, Textile School; [blank line]; Dean B.F. Brown, Basic Division; [blank line]; Dean I. O. Schaub, School of Agriculture and Forestry; Chancellor John W. Harrelson; W. L. Mayer, Director of Registration; Professor. L. Stuckey, Geology; William Hand Browne, Head of Electrical Engineering Dept.; T. E. Browne, Director, Division of Teacher Training.