D. H. Hill, First Librarian
Daniel Harvey Hill, the library namesake, began his career at North Carolina Agricultural and Mechanical College (now NCSU) upon its opening in 1889. He engaged in the common nineteenth-century practice of serving as both a professor (of English) and the college librarian, the institution’s first. This responsibility was not a major burden, as the early library occupied only a reading room in the Main Building (later Holladay Hall). For the first ten years of the ... More
Funds appropriated for the library
The Board of Trustees appropriates $500 for "library purposes" and $150 for subscriptions for magazines, newspapers, and other periodicals.
Edwin Bentley Owen, 2nd Librarian
E. B. Owen (Class of 1898), was hired in 1899, along with University of Texas librarian Benjamin Wyche, to implement the Dewey system of book classification, construct a card catalog, and institute a card loan system. He served in this capacity until 1902. He held a variety of other positions at the college, including teacher of college preparatory classes (1898-1901), English professor (1904-1907), proctor, registrar (1907-1928), and the first alumni secretary / ... More
Marshall DeLancey Haywood, First Fulltime Librarian
Haywood served in 1902-1903, during which time he worked on his book, "William Tryon and his Administration in the Province of North Carolina, 1765-1771" (1903). Haywood resigned when college president G. T. Winston cut his already low salary. He later became a noted author of North Carolina history and librarian of the North Carolina Supreme Court (1918-1933).
Library moves to Pullen Hall
The library holdings move from Holladay Hall to the first floor of the old Pullen Hall.
Caroline Sherman, First Female Librarian
During Sherman’s tenure as librarian (1903-1906), library holdings moved from the third floor of Main Building (later Holladay Hall) to the first floor of old Pullen Hall. With input from D. H. Hill, she tried to make the library comfortable for extra-curricular reading and subscribed to popular periodicals and newspapers from all North Carolina counties in order to encourage greater library patronage.
- 1906 Elise Stockard, Librarian (1906-1910)
President D. H. Hill appointed English professors Thomas P. Harrison and George Summey as co-chairs of the Library Committee. Harrison and Summey departed from Hill’s solitary approach to book selection, instead asking faculty to recommend titles for the collection.
Charlotte M. Williamson, Librarian (1910-1923)
Before becoming State College's librarian, Williamson had served as a Raleigh high school teacher and principal of Murphey School. During her time as librarian, the collection continued to grow slowly. Although James R. Gulledge was named head librarian in 1923, Williamson remained on staff until 1937.
Library holdings include 7,500 print volumes and 150 magazine and journal subscriptions.
In 1923, NC State hired George Zook of the United States Bureau of Education to survey the college and make recommendations on how it could best be restructured. Zook recommended creation of schools focusing on the following broad disciplines: engineering, agriculture, general science, and social science and business administration. He also reported that the library was inadequate for the needs of the growing institution and suggested that library services be centralized.
James R. Gulledge, Head Librarian (1923-1926)
Among lasting changes made during Gulledge’s tenure were the library’s designation as a depository for U.S. government publications and presentation of the first formal library instruction for classes and individual students.
Central library system
Books in departmental libraries begin to be cataloged as part of a central library system.
Contract awarded for construction of new library
Contract for construction of a new library building (now Brooks Hall) is awarded to Joe W. Stout & Company, at a cost of $227,500.
Library of Congress classification implemented
After a fire destroyed the library's card catalog, librarian James Gulledge changes the book classification system from Dewey Decimal to the Library of Congress System (still in use).
Procedures for inter-library lending are first instituted.
D. H. Hill Library opens in what is now Brooks Hall
The original D.H. Hill Library in what is now Brooks Hall was built by Hobart Brown Upjohn and named for Daniel Harvey Hill, Professor of English when NC State first opened.
Committee Runs Library
When the head librarian position became vacant, NC State decided to save money by placing the library under the supervision of the Library Committee, instead of hiring a replacement. Frank Capps, director of college extension and instructor of business law, took on the position of executive secretary of the Library Committee (1926-1933). Although he moved his office to the library, he did not have the professional training or the time to provide much oversight. A ... More
D.H. Hill Library dedicated
The original D.H. Hill Library is dedicated (this building later became Brooks Hall). The contents of the library had been moved into the building the previous autumn, marking the first time there was an entire building designated as the library.
New Library Leadership
Hugh T. Lefler, head of the History Department and chair of the Library Committee, became acting director of the library until the following year.
State College joins UNC-Chapel Hill and Duke University in contributing catalog cards to the North Carolina Union Catalog, the first collaborative effort between the three libraries.
Engineering book dontation
D. H. Hill Library is given a private engineering library of more than 1,000 books by the widow of Colonel J.L. Ludlow of Winston-Salem.
William Porter Kellam, Head Librarian (1934-1939)
During his administration, Kellam brought a sense of professionalism and organization to the library: the number of formally trained librarians grew from one to seven; the number of books increased from 33,500 to 56,500; circulation climbed from 60,400 to 97,900 volumes; and expenditures rose from $6,900 to $10,000. Kellam arranged the library into departments by function: circulation, reference, ordering, cataloging, and periodicals. Further increasing ... More
- 1936 Browsing room opens in the library
Harlan Brown becomes the circulation librarian
Brown began his long career at NC State in this position.
Periodicals and Binding librarian
Clyde Hull Cantrell became the first periodicals and binding librarian.
Harlan Brown becomes director of the library
Brown presided over many significant changes for the library, including its 1954 relocation from Brooks Hall to the facility where it remains today. The larger space provided Brown with the room to expand the collection from 50,000 to 500,000 volumes, construct a comprehensive scientific periodical collection, and acquire the renowned Tippman Collection of Entomology volumes. The enhanced D. H. Hill Library formed part of Brown's vision of a centralized campus ... More
Establishement of University Archives
As State College celebrates its fiftieth anniversary, materials on the institution's history begin to be collected in the library. This forms the basis of what would later become the University Archives.
First branch library opens
The Architecture Library opened as the first branch library, with Grace Sims Dalton as the first librarian. This was part of Library Director Harlan Brown’s goal to eliminate autonomous departmental libraries in favor of centrally controlled branch libraries (The Architecture Library was renamed the Harrye B. Lyons Design Library in 1968).
Reba Clevenger Led Library During World War II
All male library staff members leave for military service during World War II, with Library Director Harlan Brown taking a leave of absence until 1946. Reference librarian Reba Clevenger became the acting college librarian during this time.
Textile Library established
The Textiles Library is established, with Rachel Penn Lane as the first librarian. The Textiles Library was originally located in the main library, but relocated to Nelson Hall the following year (1945). The library was renamed the Burlington Textiles Library in 1954, when Burlington Industries funded its expansion.
Friends of the Library formed
L. C. and M. M. Glenn donate $6,000 to State College for the library's purchase of geological publications, many rare and unique. In acquiring the L. C. Glenn Geological Collection, the Friends of the Library organization is formed.
- 1949 Library holdings reach 100,000 volumes
Harrelson becomes head of University Archives
Former Chancellor John Harrelson begins an appointment as the head of the University Archives collection at D.H. Hill Library.
New D.H. Hill Library Building Dedicated
The new D. H. Hill Library (the east wing of the current building) was formally dedicated.
I. T. Littleton Joined Library
Littleton was hired as Assistant Director of Libraries, thus beginning his long career at NC State.
The library publishes its first newsletter, The Bookmark.
First full-time African-American library staff member
Edward Walker is hired as a mail clerk, becoming the first full-time African-American staff member of the library.
Friends of the Library reformed
The Friends of the Library program is reformed, after being largely inactive since the late 1940s.
- 1963 Librarians given professional faculty status
Eugene Clyde Brooks collection
The library received the Eugene Clyde Brooks collection of approximately 1,000 books and journals on the history of education and North Carolina.
I. T. Littleton Library Director
I. T. Littleton became director, at first in an acting role (Harlan Brown remained, serving as associate director until his retirement in 1971). During his long tenure as director (1964-1987) Littleton built the D. H. Hill Library and its branches into a major university research library system: the book, periodicals, and binding budget rose from $114,000 in 1958 to $3.1 million; and the library's full-time staff and facilities tripled in size. The library ... More
Curriculum Materials Center established
Inez Ray establishes the Curriculum Materials Center, later renamed the Learning Resources Library and then the College of Education Media Center.
- 1965 Air conditioning installed in the library
First full-time University Archivist
Maurice Toler becomes the first professionally trained, full-time University Archivist. While the university archives were housed in the library, the division initially reported directly to the Dean of Faculty (later titled Provost).
Technical Information Center established
The Technical Information Center opens in the D. H. Hill Library, as a joint project between the library and the Industrial Extension Service.
Cooperating Raleigh Colleges established
The Cooperating Raleigh Colleges program is established by the libraries of NC State, Meredith College, Shaw University, Peace College, St. Mary's College, and St. Augustine College. The program allows direct borrowing of library resources among the six campuses.
Longer library hours
D.H. Hill Library extends the closing hour from 11PM to 1AM.
Changes in Library operations
After thefts of valuable volumes, a security system is installed in the D. H. Hill Library, and all doors are locked after service hours.
Library acquires music resources
The library received the Sanford Richard Winston Music Collection, consisting of classical music scores, opera librettos, guides, biographies of composers, books on music criticism and history, and musical recordings.
First Systems Librarian
William C. Horner becomes the first systems librarian.
First African-American librarian
William V. Frazier is hired as the first African-American in a professional librarian position.
School of Forest Resources Library opens
The School of Forest Resources Library opens in Biltmore Hall.
Increased library funding
The North Carolina General Assembly makes an appropriation for funding of libraries at the sixteen senior public institutions of higher education in the state. NC State receives an increase of $723,915, resulting in a budget of $1,313,833 for fiscal year 1970-1971. The budget for books, periodicals, and binding increases to $624,123.
A single entrance to the library (from the Brickyard) is established for the first time.
A reorganization of departments in the Libraries results in three major divisions headed by assistant directors. The divisions were General Services (including circulation), Reference Services, and Collection Development and Organization (including technical services). The school libraries - Design, Textiles, and Forest Resources - were now classified as branch libraries.
Color Wall activated
The light mural (later known as the Color Wall) in D. H. Hill Library is activated for the first time, but not yet fully completed.
Library Addition Passed Inspection
Construction ended on the new 11-story tower addition (North Tower) to the D.H. Hill Library.
Library Tower Addition Opened
The new 11-story addition (North Tower) to the D.H. Hill Library opened
Interior of D. H. Hill Library, showing the documents card catalog. A few years after this photo was taken, in 1975, the NCSU Libraries commenced computerized cataloging of the book collection, which led to the development of the online catalog.
Dedication of D.H. Hill Library North Tower
The original eleven-story bookstack tower (now the North Tower) of the D. H. Hill Library is dedicated. With the addition, the bookstacks are opened to all users (previously, the library had had closed bookstacks).
Libraries join SOLINET
NC State becomes a charter member of the Southeastern Library Network (SOLINET). Library director I.T. Littleton serves on SOLINET's initial board of directors, and chairs its first bylaws committee.
D.H. Hill Librarians group formed
The D.H. Hill Librarians group meets for the first time. In 1984, the group was renamed the NCSU Librarians' Association.
Computerized cataloging begins
The library begins computerized cataloging of materials. Retrospective conversion of the card catalog was started the following year.
Book, periodical, and binding expenditures exceed $1,000,000 in a fiscal year for the first time.
Special Collections established
A Rare Book and Special Collections Room, administered by the Reference Department, was established adjacent to the University Archives.
Triangle university libraries collaboration
The library directors at NCSU, UNC-Chapel Hill, and Duke University appointed a Triangle Universities Library Cooperation Committee (TULCC) to plan a cooperative program for the three universities. Ultimately the Triangle Research Libraries Network (TRLN) grew out of this effort.
- 1981 D.H. Hill Library holdings reach one million volumes
NCSU Libraries join the ARL
The NCSU Libraries become a member of the prestigious Association of Research Libraries (ARL).
Library's Online Catalog Went Live
The online catalog was originally called the Bibliographic Information System (BIS). The following year, library staff stopped filing cards into the card catalog. In addition to providing information on NCSU holdings, BIS also gave users access to information on holdings at the other TRLN libraries.
The NCSU Libraries becomes official system name
"The NCSU Libraries" becomes the official name of the library system, encompassing the D. H. Hill Library and the four branch libraries (Design, Natural Resources, Textiles, and Veterinary Medicine).
I. T. Littleton Seminar
The first annual I. T. Littleton Seminar in emerging library issues was held by the Libraries. The seminar was established to honor Libraries Directory I. T. Littleton, who retired in this year.
Susan Nutter Became First Female Director of Libraries
During Nutter’s tenure, the Libraries has grown from less than 2,000,000 volumes to more than 4.4 million, plus 62,000 print and electronic serial subscriptions, 500 bibliographic databases, and numerous electronic full-text and image collections. Also, the Libraries advanced significantly in important library rankings, and innovative new facilities opened on campus.
Kaye Gibbons becomes the first author-in-residence
Kaye Gibbons, former NC State student, becomes the NCSU Libraries' first author-in-residence.
- 1988 The Friends of the Library hold their first booksale
- 1989 Libraries adopt current logo
- 1989 NCSU Libraries Assumed Administrative Control Over the University Archives
Libraries' 100th anniversary
The NCSU Libraries celebrates its 100th anniversary in a ceremony that includes planting three yoshino cherry trees in front of the East Wing of the building.
Library's South Tower Opened
A new addition to the D. H. Hill Library (South Tower) opened. Besides bookstack space, this addition featured a special facilities room and the Class of 1989 Reading Room.
Collection Management Department established
The Collection Management Department is established, with Margaret Hunt as its first head. Hunt had been one of the first African-American librarians hired during the 1970s.
Information Technologies Teaching Center (ITTC) established
The Information Technologies Teaching Center (ITTC) is established in the D. H. Hill Library, initially funded through a gift from the Class of 1990.
Burlington Textiles Library Moved
In conjunction with the move of the College of Textiles, the Burlington Textiles Library moved to Centennial Campus, making it the first library unit on the new campus. It remained in the College of Textiles complex until December 2012, when the collections were moved into the Hunt Library.
Trial of electronic document deliveries
The library begins a trial of an electronic document delivery service to university researchers.
History of D.H. Hill Library Published
The Friends of the Library published I. T. Littleton's "The D.H. Hill Library: An Informal History, 1887-1987"
- 1993 Susan Nutter served as president of the Association of Research Libraries
Information accessibility improved
The NCSU Libraries initiates a new information system, accessible to remote users through campus local area networks and the Internet. Included is access to external databases and journal indexes, as well as the online catalog.
Growth of Library holdings
During the 1993-1994 academic year, the holdings of the Libraries reach 2,000,000 volumes.
Daily van delivery begins
The NCSU Libraries initiates daily van delivery of library resources between the D. H. Hill Library and the branch libraries.
Research Libraries of the Future
The NCSU Libraries are selected by the Association of Research Libraries as one of six "Research Libraries of the Future."
Special Collections Research Center established
The Special Collections Research Center is established, with David Jackson as the first department leader.
- 1995 Self-service circulation begins in the D. H. Hill Library
Twenty-four hour Library
The NCSU Libraries begins twenty-four hour service (Sunday through Thursday).
Digital Library Initiatives
The Digital Library Initiatives department is formed.
With funding from a tuition increase, the NCSU Libraries initiated the TRIPSaver service for NCSU users to expedite retrieval of items from other TRLN libraries.
The NCSU Libraries become a charter member of the JSTOR electronic archive of journal articles.
Digital Library Federation Membership
The NCSU Libraries became a member of the Digital Library Federation.
Scholarly Communication Center Established
The Scholarly Communication Center is established, with Peggy E. Hoon as the first Scholarly Communications Librarian. NC State's library becomes the first in the nation to hire an intellectual property attorney to help both librarians and faculty interpret how copyright law protects or limits their access to information.
NC Live established
NC LIVE (North Carolina Libraries in Virtual Education) begins, with NC State serving as NC LIVE's primary server site.
Donald E. Moreland Associate Director for Public Services position established
The Donald E. Moreland Associate Director for Public Services, the first named position in the NCSU Libraries, is created from an endowment established by Professor Emeritus Donald E. Moreland and his wife Verdie S. Moreland. Carolyn D. Argentati becomes the first to hold the position.
Excellence in Academic Libraries Award
The NCSU Libraries wins the first-ever "Excellence in Academic Libraries Award" in the university library category. This award is sponsored by the Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL).
Library holdings reach 3,000,000 volumes
During the 2000-2001 academic year, the holdings of the Libraries reaches 3,000,000 volumes.
Advance in ARL ranking
The NCSU Libraries is ranked 32nd among 112 Association of Research Library (ARL) libraries, up from 101st in 1987 - an unprecedented accomplishment in ARL history.
Gift to NCSU Libraries
The NCSU Libraries receives its largest gift, a $1,000,000 charitable remainder trust, from an anonymous donor.
- 2002 Hill of Beans coffee bar opens in D. H. Hill Library
Librarian of the Year
Susan Nutter is named the Librarian of the Year by the Library Journal.
New online library catalog
The NCSU Libraries implements a revolutionary new online catalog, leveraging the advanced search and faceted navigation capabilities of the Endeca software platform. The new catalog provides the speed and flexibility of popular online search engines, while capitalizing on existing catalog records.
Funding for new library on Centennial Campus approved
The North Carolina General Assembly appropriates funding for the planning of the new James B. Hunt Jr. Library, to be built on Centennial Campus.
Renovation of the East Wing completed
A major renovation of the east wing of the D. H. Hill Library is completed, featuring the Learning Commons, the Conservatory, the Special Collections Reading Room, and the Exhibit Gallery. The opening of the newly refurbished space coincides with the fifty-second anniversary of the dedication of the original building in 1955.
Hunt Library dedicated
The library was named in honor of former four-term N.C. Gov. and NC State alumnus James B. Hunt Jr. The Hunt Library won the American Institute of Architects and the American Library Association Building Award. It was featured in Architecture magazine, and Time magazine called it the "library of the future."