College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
Under the Hatch Act, the federal government provided $15,000 to each state for agricultural experiment stations.
The Agricultural Experiment Station was transferred from the North Carolina Department of Agriculture to the North Carolina College of Agricultural and Mechanic Arts.
Eula Louisa Dixon took a course in dairying and became the second woman to enroll in a course at A&M College.
In fall of 1901, a small number of students formed the Biological Club to further promote their interests in the topic.
Professor Massey and his wife hosted a Valentine's party for the agricultural students.
The Dean of Agriculture position was created and first held by Charles B. Williams, though the School of Agriculture would not be established until 1923. This was the first position of dean at NC State. Williams served as dean until 1923.
Swine Extension agents set up a demonstration in front of the old Pullen Hall during the Farmer's Convention in August 27-29, 1919.
The State College Apple Judging Team won third place at the Intercollegiate Apple Judging Contest in Atlantic City, NJ.
The Agriculture Club of State College hosted a "Barn-warming" for visiting farmers at Thompson Gym.
He served in the position until 1945 while he was simultaneously director of Agricultural Extension.
Dr. B. W. Wells gave a lecture on plant evolution as a part of the Phi Kappa Phi lecture series.
Four prize cows stepped on an electrical wire and cost State College over $3,500 in damages.
Fire destroyed one of State College's dairy barns with damages estimated at $4,000.
The Department of Chemistry was placed with the administration of the School of Agriculture.
Margaret Kramer and Martha S. Richmond became the first women to receive MS degrees in agricultural chemistry.
State College's new dairy barns were dedicated as part of the college's first annual Livestock Day. Located near the State Fairgrounds, the dairy barns eventually became a part of the College of Veterinary Medicine. Funding for construction came from the Public Works Administration.
At the 4-H Short Course meeting, a competition was held to select District Kings and Queens of Health. NC State traditionally hosted youth groups on campus during the summers. The North Carolina 4-H Short Courses, State Club Weeks, and State Congresses have been held at NC State since the 1920s.
State 4-H Club Leader L. R. Harrill and others watched as the U.S.S. Tyrrell was launched from Wilmington. North Carolina 4-H helped fund and name two warships during World War II.
The School of Agriculture was reorganized and incorporated three fields of work into the school: teaching, research, and extension.
Governor W. Kerr Scott and others received guests at the governor's mansion during North Carolina Cooperative Extension Farm and Home Week.
Robert W. Scott graduated from NC State in 1952. He later became the 67th governor of North Carolina from 1969 to 1973.
The Peru Project was established as a cooperative effort between NC State, the U.S. Agency for International Development, and the government of Peru to develop programs in agricultural and textile research, extension, and education.
Farmers watched a demonstration of State College's fistulated cow during Farm and Home Week in June 1956. Cooperative Extension Service demonstrations like this helped to share knowledge gained at NC State with farmers throughout North Carolina.
Mrs. H. H. Weathers, a member of the Wake County Home Demonstration Club, performed in "Baccy Time in the South" as a part of the Farm and Home Week talent night.
To promote June as National Dairy Month, the 1958 Dairy Princess posed with a carton of ice cream in the dairy factory.
James "Jim" B. Hunt Jr. graduated. He later earned a MS in 1962. He became the 69th (1977-1985) and 71st (1993-2001) governor of North Carolina, making him the state's longest serving chief executive.
The Agricultural Policy Institute was established and was one of only two such organizations in the United States.
The Department of Chemistry was transferred from the School of Agriculture to the School of Physical Science and Applied Mathematics.
Named for former chancellor John William Harrelson, Harrelson Hall opened to the public for the first time as part of the School of Agriculture's Open House. At the time, the building seated 3,429 people.
Lady Bird Johnson, wife of Vice President Lyndon Johnson, visited the School of Agriculture.
T. Ming Chu graduated with a MS degree in Food Science on July 1965. Chu later developed a prostate cancer detection test that saved countless lives.
NC State received its first National Science Foundation grant to create a science development plan in order to strengthen faculties in the biosciences; support materials, mechanics and electrotechnics in engineering; and support the social sciences.
William E. Splinter, professor in the Department of Agriculture Engineering, helped develop a mechanical tobacco harvester and a mechanical tobacco transplanter. Splinter joined the faculty at NC state in 1954.
Sarah Sheffield became the first woman to edit Agri-Life, the student publication of the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. Sheffield majored in wildlife biology and received a BS in 1970 and a MS in 1977.
James Clark wrote Clover All Over: North Carolina 4-H in Action. A version of the print edition was published in 2011, and it is available in the library.
Eight of the university's academic schools were designated as colleges.
Authored by William L. Carpenter and Dean W. Colvard, the college published Knowledge Is Power : A History of the School of Agriculture and Life Sciences at North Carolina State University, 1877-1984.
To commemorate more than 100 years of 4-H in North Carolina, an exhibit on the history of the organization was displayed in the D.H. Hill Jr. Library.
Wilma Hammett, Jan Christensen, and Joan Gosper wrote, Ordinary Women, Extraordinary Service: To Family, Community, and North Carolina, a history of the family and consumer science program in North Carolina. A print edition exists in the library.
The department became the Prestage Department of Poultry Science after receiving a $10 million gift to honor Bill and Marsha Prestage, owners of the Prestage Farms poultry and pork production company.
The Department of Agricultural and Extension Education merged with the Department of Youth, Family and Community Sciences and became the Department of Agricultural and Human Sciences.
CALS dedicated the new Plant Sciences building on Centennial Campus. This building was created to support the research and teaching mission of the Plant Sciences Initiative (PSI).