Service courses in farm equipment were taught by in the Department of Agronomy, but not by an engineering. True agricultural engineering courses were first taught in the 1920-1921 academic year.
The agricultural engineering instructional program commenced in the 1920-1921 academic year. R. E. Bosque and H. D. Lewis were the earliest instructors, and they were part of the agronomy faculty.
William E. Splinter, on the faculty of the Department of Biological and Agricultural Engineering, with tobacco harvesting equipment that he helped develop. Throughout the history of North Carolina State University, research and development conducted by its faculty and students have assisted North Carolina farmers.
G. W. Giles wrote A Department Grows to Maturity: The History of Agricultural Engineering at N.C. State University 1914 to 1977. An updated version of this history exists today on the department's website.