Department of Foreign Lanuages and Literatures

Department of Foreign Lanuages and Literatures

1890s

  • 1896 First foreign language courses

1900s

  • 1902 Department of Modern Languages established

1920s

  • 1925 Department of Modern Languages renamed

    The Department of Modern Languages is renamed the Department of Modern Languages and Translation Services

1940s

  • 1942 Female faculty increases

    Three women join the faculty at NC State. Ruth Couch Allen and Louise K. Cell become instructors in English, and Ruth Badger Hall becomes an instructor in Modern Languages.

  • DefaultMrs. Ruth B. Hall portrait
  • 1945 Department of Modern Languages

    The Department of Modern Languages and Translation Services is renamed the Department of Modern Languages.

  • 1949 Female faculty increases

    Twenty-two women are listed on the faculty, most at the instructor or laboratory technician level. Departments with more than one female member include English (six), Statistics (three), Textiles (three), and Modern Languages (two). Women are also on the faculty in Architecture, Agricultural Economics, Mathematics, Physics, Social Studies, Chemistry, Engineering, Research, and Agronomy.

1950s

  • 10/20/1953 Russian course

    The Extension Division of NC State College begins offering a night class in Elementary Russian.

  • DefaultStudents learning Russian language

1960s

  • 1965 First Summer Institute for International Students offered

1970s

  • 1978 Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures

    The Department of Modern Languages is renamed the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures.

2000s

  • 2002 Foreign Languages and Literature History

    Dudley Marchi wrote Brief History of the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures at North Carolina State University. A version of this history exists on the departmental website.