Department of Forestry and Environmental Resources

Department of Forestry and Environmental Resources
Please note that some historical materials may contain harmful content and/or descriptions. Learn how we’re addressing it.

1920s

1929 Department of Forestry established

1930s

1931 Department of Forestry renamed

The Department of Forestry was renamed the Division of Forestry.

1950s

1950 School of Forestry established

The Division of Forestry became the School of Forestry.

1952 School of Forestry moved

The School of Forestry moved from Ricks Hall to Kilgore Hall.

Entrance to Department of Forestry, Kilgore Hall, North Carolina State CollegeEntrance to Department of Forestry, Kilgore Hall, North Carolina State College
1959 Department of Forest Management established

Department of Forest Management was established. Curriculum in the School of Forestry was divided into departments for the first time.

1960s

1968 School of Forestry renamed

The School of Forestry was renamed the School of Forest Resources.

1968 Department of Forest Management renamed

The Department of Forest Management ws renamed the Department of Forestry.

1970s

1970 School of Forest Resources moved

The School of Forest Resources moved from Kilgore Hall to Biltmore Hall.

Biltmore Hall, front viewBiltmore Hall, front view
1970 School of Forest Resources Library

The School of Forest Resources Library opened in Biltmore Hall. It later became the Natural Resources Library.

Pulp and paper students in Natural Resources LibraryPulp and paper students in Natural Resources Library
1972 J. Charles Lee awarded PhD

J. Charles Lee was awarded a PhD. He had previously earned a Bachelors of Science degree in 1964. He later became president of Mississippi State University.

2000s

2004 Department of Forestry renamed

The Department of Forestry was renamed the Department of Forestry and Environmental Resources. More historical information exists on the departmental website.