Edward P. Fitts Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering

Edward P. Fitts Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering
Please note that some historical materials may contain harmful content and/or descriptions. Learn how we’re addressing it.

1930s

1930 First industrial engineering courses offered
5/2/1930 Industrial engineering curriculum established

Curriculum in industrial engineering was announced with the first courses offered in the fall of 1930.

1931 Department of Industrial Engineering established

The Department of Industrial Engineering was established and located at 111 Lampe Drive.

Unnamed BuildingUnnamed Building

1940s

1940 Department of Industrial Engineering relocated

The Department of Industrial Engineering moves from 111 Lampe Drive to the 1911 Building.

1950s

1950 Department of Industrial Engineering moves

The Department of Industrial Engineering moves from the 1911 Building to Riddick Laboratories.

Riddick Engineering LaboratoriesRiddick Engineering Laboratories
1950 First masters' degree in Industrial Engineering conferred

1970s

1974 Rajendra Pachauri awarded doctorate

Rajendra Pachauri was awarded a Doctor of Philosophy degree. He had previously earned a Master of Science degree in 1972. Later, in 2007, he shared the Nobel Peace Prize.

2000s

2005 Department of Industrial Engineering moves

The Department of Industrial Engineering moves from Riddick Labs to 111 Lampe Drive.

2005 Edward P. Fitts Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering

The Department of Industrial Engineering is renamed the Edward P. Fitts Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, making it the first named department at NC State. More historical information is available on the departmental website.