Department of Plant and Microbial Biology

Department of Plant and Microbial Biology
Please note that some historical materials may contain harmful content and/or descriptions. Learn how we’re addressing it.

1880s

10/1889 First Botany courses offered

Botany courses were offered when the North Carolina College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts opened.

1890s

1890 Microbiology curriculum established

Microbiology courses became a part of the curricula in the zoology and botany departments.

circa 1890 Entomology curriculum established

The entomology curriculum was taught within the Department of Horticulture, Arboriculture, and Botany.

1900s

1902 Botany curriculum established

Botany curriculum is taught as a component of the Botanical Instruction program.

1905 Department of Horticulture moved

The Department of Horticulture, Arboriculture, and Botany moved to Patterson Hall (originally, "Agricultural Hall").

1910s

1912 Botany curriculum redesigned

Botanical Instruction and Botany programs were separated. Botany classes were taught as a part of the Agriculture curriculum.

1919 Ecologist Bertram Whittier Wells hired

Dr. Wells was hired as head the Department of Botany and Plant Pathology in 1919 (known later as the Department of Plant Biology). He taught at NC State until 1954.

B. W. Wells, age 93B. W. Wells, age 93

1920s

4/14/1927 B. W. Wells gave lecture

Dr. B. W. Wells gave a lecture on plant evolution as a part of the Phi Kappa Phi lecture series.

1940s

1945 Department of Botany and Plant Pathology established

A Plant Pathology section is created within the School of Agriculture, and a new Department of Botany and Plant Pathology is also created.

1950s

1950 Division of Biological Sciences

Division of Biological Sciences created; plant pathology comprises the largest of five units.

1956 Department of Horticulture moved

The Department of Horticulture moved to Kilgore Hall.

1958 Department of Botany and Bacteriology established

Department of Botany and Bacteriology was created and replaced the Division of Biological Sciences.

1960s

1962 Institute of Biological Sciences created

The Institute of Biological Sciences is created; the Department of Botany and Bacteriology becomes one of the five divisions within.

1965 Department of Botany and Department of Microbiology established

The Department of Botany and Bacteriology is divided. The Department of Botany and the Department of Microbiology was established.

1970s

1971 Institute of Biological Sciences dissolved

2000s

2006 Department of Plant Biology

The Department of Botany is renamed the Department of Plant Biology.

2010s

July 1, 2013 Department of Plant and Microbial Biology

The Department of Plant Biology became the Department of Plant and Microbial Biology. More historical information exists on the department's website.