Campus Buildings, Grounds & Landmarks
Headquarters for the North Carolina Agricultural Experiment Station dedicated
In July of 1886, there were elaborate ceremonies at the site, including speeches by prominent state officials, a procession of guests, and the laying of a cornerstone.
Cornerstone laid for first building (Holladay Hall)
The cornerstone was laid for the first building on campus, originally called Main Building but later named Holladay Hall.
Construction on Main Building (later Holladay Hall) completed
This building would later be renamed Holladay Hall, in recognition of the first President of the university, Alexander Holladay. The building was constructed of 1.5 million "penitentiary bricks" made at the State Prison in Raleigh.
D. H. Hill, First Librarian
Daniel Harvey Hill, the library namesake, began his career at North Carolina Agricultural and Mechanical College (now NCSU) upon its opening in 1889. He engaged in the common nineteenth-century practice of serving as both a professor (of English) and the college librarian, the institution’s first. This responsibility was not a major burden, as the early library occupied only a reading room in the Main Building (later Holladay Hall). For the first ten years of the ... More
Mechanical Building constructed
The Old Mechanical Building, designed by Professor J.H. Kinealy, housed the entire department of Mechanical Engineering including the shops.
Memorial Oak planted
The first class of students planted the tree that became known at the Memorial Oak. The tree lived until 1990, when it was removed because of a fungal disease. It is depicted in the chancellor's seal, and some of the wood was made into a table for the chancellor's office.
First Dairy Barn built
NC State's first dairy barn stood behind Holladay Hall. Several more were added in 1909, where Reynolds Coliseum now stands.
- 1893 Third Dormitory opens
- 1893 First Dormitory opens
- 1893 Second Dormitory opens
- 1894 Fourth Dormitory opens
- 1896 First Power House built between Holladay and Leazar
- 1896 Primrose Hall opens
Watauga Hall built
Watauga Hall, built by Charles W. Barrett, housed a dining hall, dorms, and kitchen. It was named for the Watauga Club, a club of young men who lobbied the State Legislature for the founding of State College.
Old Pullen Hall opens
Pullen Hall was built by William P. Rose with space for a library, dining hall, assembly hall, and chapel. It was named for Richard Stanhope Pullen.
Tompkins Hall opens
The original textile equipment was housed in the basement of Holladay Hall. Support for the program grew, and in 1901 the North Carolina General Assembly appropriated $10,000 toward the construction of a textile building. This structure, Tompkins Hall, resembled a textile mill of the period and was completed in early 1902. In 1917 it was named for Daniel A. Tompkins, a Charlotte industrialist who was instrumental in the establishment of the textile program at NC ... More
- 1902 Watauga Hall rebuilt after fire
Patterson Hall (originally called "Agricultural Hall") opens
Patterson Hall, named for Samuel Ledgerwood Patterson, housed the Department of Horticulture, Aboriculture, and Botany
Board of Trustees approved converting an area on campus called "Crawford's Farm" into an athletic field
Games were previously played at Red Diamond Field (now part of Pullen Park) or the Old State Fairgrounds (on the other side of Hillsborough St.)
- 1906 Field where ballgames are played is named the New Athletic Field
- 1907 New Athletic Field renamed A&M Athletics Field
Winston Hall opens
Winston Hall opens, housing civil, chemical, and electrical engineering courses. It was named for second college president George Tayloe Winston.
Zoology Building (originally called "Animal Industry Building") constructed
The Zoology Building was constructed for Animal Industry, Zoology, and Entomology and demolished in the mid 1950s.
1911 Building dedicated
Construction began on the 1911 Building (originally the 1911 Dormitory) in 1909. It was named for the class that banned freshman hazing. It has also housed the departments of Engineering Mechanics, Home Demonstration, Industrial Engineering, Rural Sociology, Veterans Administration, and Sociology and Anthropology.
Riddick Field (formerly A&M Athletics Field and later Riddick Stadium) named, for football and baseball
Riddick Field was named for Wallace Carl Riddick, a former president of the college and dean of the School of Engineering.
Leazar Hall opens
Leazar Hall, named for Augustus Leazar, was built as the dining hall, seating 750 students.
King Religious Center (also called YMCA Building) opens
The King Religious Center served as a religious and social center, with a gym and pool in the basement. It served as a de facto student union before the first college union was built in the 1950s. The building was finally demolished in 1975.
"The Shacks" built
Due to increased student enrollment, ten temporary wooden buildings known as "The Shacks" were constructed.
Park Shops built
The Park Shops, built by Harry P.S. Keller, were originally built to house the mechanical shops, forge, and foundry.
Tompkins Hall rebuilt after fire
A fire on March 25, 1914 destroyed Tompkins Hall and all the equipment inside. It was rebuilt the following year, with the local textile industry contributing new equipment. During the rebuild, an additional 25 feet were added to the west end of the building.
- 1915 Student Supply Store opens
South Dorm (now Syme Hall)
South Dorm (now the north wing of Syme Hall) opened. It was designed by architects Thomas W. Cooper and G. Murray Nelson.
Watauga Hall fire
Fire destroys the third floor of Watauga Residence Hall
Welch Hall opens
Welch Hall, a dormitory, was built by Hobart Brown Upjohn and named for alumnus Cleveland Welch.
Gold Hall opens
Gold Hall was built by architect Hobart Brown Upjohn and named after alumnus Charles Wyllis Gold.
Memorial Bell Tower cornerstone laid
The cornerstone is laid for the Memorial Bell Tower, a monument to honor State College alumni who had been killed during World War I.
Page Hall opens
Page Hall was built by Hobart Brown Upjohn and named for Walter Hines Page, who was a member of the Watauga Club and instrumental in the founding of the college.
Ricks Hall opens
Ricks Hall, built by Thomas Wright Cooper and G. Murray Nelson, opens to house the Agricultural Extension Service, Agricultural Economics and Business, Agricultural Information, and Horticulture departments. It was named for Robert Henry Ricks.
Chinqua-Penn Planation built
Chinqua-Penn Plantation, near Reidsville, North Carolina, was the home of Mr. and Mrs. Jefferson Penn. NC State University would help operate the plantation from 1959 to 2006.
Frank Thompson Gymnasium named
The new gymnasium on campus is named after Frank Thompson (Class of 1910), a former athlete at State College who was killed during service in WWI.
Syme Hall addition
The south wing and center of Syme Hall were completed. The architect was Hobart Upjohn. Syme Hall was later named for alumnus George F. Syme.
Bagwell Hall opens
Bagwell Hall served as a dormitory and was built by Hobart Brown Upjohn. It was named for Eugene Cleveland Bagwell, an alumnus in civil engineering. It was financed by the Public Works Administration.
Thompson Gymnasium Dedicated
Thompson Hall was dedicated as Thompson Gymnasium on this date. It was the first on-campus home dedicated to basketball. Previously, home basketball games had been played in Raleigh Memorial Auditorium. The building was designed by architect Hobart Upjohn and named for alumnus Frank Martin Thompson. The NC State basketball team played there until Reynolds Coliseum opened in 1949.
D. H. Hill Library in Brooks Hall
The original D.H. Hill Library (in what later became Brooks Hall) was designed by Hobart Brown Upjohn and named for Daniel Harvey Hill, the first faculty member to oversee the library.
Daniels Hall opens
Daniels Hall was built by Hobart Brown Upjohn to house Electrical Engineering and Physics. It was named for Josephus Daniels, a charter member of the Watauga Club.
D.H. Hill Library dedication
The original D.H. Hill Library is dedicated (this building later became Brooks Hall). The contents of the library had been moved into the building the previous autumn, marking the first time there was an entire building designated as the library.
Polk Hall dedicated
Polk Hall was built by Hobart Brown Upjohn and named for Leonidas LaFayette Polk.
Old Chancellor's Residence built
The Chancellor's Residence was built by Hobart Brown Upjohn and renovated in 2004.
Peele Hall built
Peele Hall was built by Hobart Brown Upjohn and named for William Joseph Peele, founder of the Watauga Club.
Hill Forest donated to the college
Hill Forest was donated by George Watts Hill.
First telephones in dormitories
The first telephones are installed in the dormitories. Previously, telephones were only available for student use in the YMCA building.
Dairy barn fire
Fire destroys one of State College's dairy barns, with damages estimated at $4,000.
Riddick Field Concrete Stands
State College ties the University of Florida, 0-0, in the first football game held at Riddick Field with its new concrete stands. The field was named for college president Wallace Carl Riddick.
Civil Works Administration projects
An announcement is made inviting students to be employed on Civil Works Administration projects to improve the campus.
McLean Murals displayed in Brooks Hall (originally D.H. Hill Library)
The Works Progress Administration commissioned James A. McLean to create four murals depicting agriculture, science, architecture, and engineering. After complaints and ridicule, the murals were removed from display, three were destroyed, and one was rediscovered years later in the Raleigh Little Theater.
Concrete grandstands completed at Riddick Field
The grandstands were completed with loans from the Reconstruction Finance Corporation and a small grant from the Works Progress Administration.
Bell Tower grant
The Memorial Bell Tower construction project receives a $37,000 Works Progress Administration grant.
Electronic scoreboard in Riddick Stadium
A new electric scoreboard and time clock are used at Riddick Stadium for the first time during a game against the University of Georgia. The scoreboard and clock were a donation from the News & Observer.
Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) Monument dedicated
The DAR Monument was erected to honor the men and women who achieved the independence of the thirteen original colonies.
Construction of Memorial Bell Tower completed
The Memorial Bell Tower was completed with aid from the Works Progress Administration (WPA).
Bell moved to the roof of Withers Hall
The forgotten bell was rediscovered in 2006. It was originally on the top of Metropolitan Hall, in downtown Raleigh, then moved to a fire station on Morgan and Salisbury streets, and finally to Withers Hall. It signaled the end of classes and may have been intended to fill in the Memorial Bell Tower. In 2008, it was given back to the city of Raleigh.
Freshman Quadrangle completed
The Seventh, Eighth, and Ninth Dormitories formed the Freshman Quadrangle.
- 1/28/1938 Seniors donate $1,000 toward a clock for the Memorial Bell Tower
Traffic congestion on campus
In response to traffic congestion on campus, Chancellor Harrelson appoints a committee of faculty members to study the traffic conditions at NC State.
Becton Hall opens
Becton Hall was built by Hobart Brown Upjohn and Ross Edward Shumaker and named for alumnus John Leland Becton. It was financed by the Public Works Administration.
Berry Hall opens
Berry Hall, a dormitory, was built by Hobart Brown Upjohn and Ross Edward Shumaker. It was named for alumnus Leslie Graham Berry and was financed by the Public Works Administration.
Clark Infirmary (Clark Hall) opens
Clark Hall, originally a dormitory, became the center for Student Health Services. It was built by Ross Edward Shumaker and named for Walter Clark, Jr., who sent five sons to North Carolina State College.
Mangum Hall (now David Clark Laboratories) opens
David Clark Laboratories was built by Ross Edward Shumaker. It was renovated in 2005.
- 1940 Laundry Building constructed
Nelson Hall opens
The new building for the School of Textiles was dedicated on March 5, 1940. Present at the dedication was Dean Thomas Nelson, Associate Justice Heriot Clarkson of the NC Supreme Court, and Governor Clyde R. Hoey, who as a young legislator in 1901 had voted to approve the formation of a textile program. In 1954 the building was named for Thomas Nelson, dean of the School of Textiles, 1925-1943.
Turlington Hall opens
Turlington Hall was built as a dormitory by Ross Edward Shumaker with financial support from the Public Works Administration. It was named for alumnus John Edwin Turlington.
Withers Hall dedicated
Withers Hall was named for William Alphonso Withers, a professor of Chemistry
First annual Livestock Day
State College's new dairy barns are dedicated as part of the college's first annual Livestock Day.
New Dairy Barns dedicated
Located near the State Fairgrounds, the University Dairy Farm barns are now part of the College of Veterinary Medicine.
Alexander Hall named
Alexander Hall (originally called "A Dormitory") was designed by Ross Edward Shumaker and named for alumnus Sydenham Bernard Alexander, Jr. Over time, it was a dormitory for men, women, International students, and finally a coed dorm. It was financed by the Public Works Administration.
Bell Tower bell rung
Students learn that State College acquired the bell and bronze tablet in the Memorial Bell Tower from the U.S. cruiser Charlotte (a ship that fought for the U.S. Navy in WWI and was retired after 17 years of service on Nov. 11, 1935). The bell was rung once - when a group of students celebrating a basketball defeat over UNC broke into the tower and rang the bell.
Ground broken on Reynolds Coliseum
Construction was interrupted for many years because of World War II. The building was named for businessman William Neal Reynolds.
Campus buildings named
All dorms, the cafeteria, and other non-classroom buildings on campus are given official names for the first time.
Diesel Building built
During World War II, State College formed a partnership with the U.S. Navy to train naval officers in diesel engineering. The Diesel Building was constructed to house this project. It was designed by Ross Edward Shumaker and became part of Broughton Hall in 1951.
The Textiles Library is established, with Rachel Penn Lane as the first librarian. The Textiles Library was originally located in the main library, but relocated to Nelson Hall the following year (1945). The library was renamed the Burlington Textiles Library in 1954, when Burlington Industries funded its expansion.
Infirmary moves to Clark Hall
The college infirmary moves from Carroll Infirmary to Clark Hall, becoming the largest and most modern such facility among all Southeastern non-medical colleges.
Bureau of Mines Building built
The Bureau of Mines Building was originally a research station for studying mineral industries. It was later the home of the first nuclear reactor on campus, before becoming the home of the Physics Department.
Quonset Huts built
The Quonset Huts were built to help accommodate the influx of students entering after World War II on the GI Bill.
New dorm construction
NC State borrows $500,000 to begin construction of two new dorms.
Old Faithful whistle replaced
The whistle had indicated class changes and mealtimes, and it was also used to warn students of campus fires.
More than 75 trailers (forming what was known as the "City of Trailers" or "Trailwood") were constructed so that married WWII veterans and their families could attend NC State on the GI Bill. In 1949, Trailwood was relocated, and Williams Hall was built in its place.
Owen Hall built
Owen Hall was built as a dormitory and named for Edwin Bentley Owen, an alumnus and professor of English.
Vetville opened as another location to house married veterans attending NC State after World War II. Later, Korean War veterans lived there. At the end of the 1950s Bragaw dormitory was built on the site.
Vetville Grocery Store opens
The Vetville Grocery Store was located in the basement of Vetville YMCA, offering a complete line of groceries at reasonable prices.
Thompson Gymnasium condemned
The Raleigh city building inspector condemns Thompson Gymnasium just hours before a Mens Basketball game against Duke. Only a few reporters and college officials are allowed to attend the next home game, against High Point College. From then until the completion of Reynolds Coliseum in 1949, home games are played in Raleighs Memorial Auditorium.
- 10/27/1948 Naval Reserve Training Center dedicated
Dedication of the Memorial Bell Tower
The Memorial Bell Tower is dedicated, with former Governor R. Gregg Cherry present at the ceremony.
Reynolds Coliseum opens
Reynolds Coliseum opens, with the NC State Men's Basketball team beating Washington and Lee, 67-47. Not all of the seats had been installed yet, so some fans had to sit on the cement tiers.
Broughton Hall opens
The existing Diesel Building became part of Broughton Hall. It was named for Joseph Melville Broughton, a former North Carolina governor and senator.
Dedication of Riddick Laboratory
Over 200 citizens gather for a ceremony at the newly-opened Riddick Laboratory. The lab building, constructed for $1,300,000, is dedicated to Dr. Wallace Carl Riddick, NC State's first Dean of Engineering, and the university's fourth president.
Kilgore Hall built
Kilgore Hall was named for Benjamin Wesley Kilgore, formerly the director of the Agricultural Experiment Station (1901-1907), the Extension Service (1914-1925), and dean of agriculture (1923-1925).
Print Shop built
In 1974, the Print Shop becomes the New African American Cultural Center.
Scott Hall opens
State College celebrates the opening of Scott Hall, the new poultry science building, named for Robert Walter Scott. Construction of Scott Hall cost the college $380,110.97.
Burlington Engineering Labs built
Burlington Engineering Labs was built as a center for NC State's research reactor. It is named for Burlington Industries, the North Carolina-based textile company.
Dairy farm conference segregated dining
In 1953, NC State College hosted a dairy farm conference on campus. Chancellor Bostian declared that African American dairy farmers attending the conference could only eat in the west wing of the dining hall. Bostians announcement was in keeping with the Colleges policy, which declared African Americans attending on campus meetings would have meals in the dining hall but only when a separate room was available. Leazar Hall served as the campus-dining hall until 1971.
Williams Hall dedicated
Williams Hall housed the Agronomy Department and was named for Charles Burgess Williams, an alumnus and charter member of the Agronomy Society of America.
Gardner Hall dedicated
Gardner Hall was built to house the biological sciences and named for O. Max Gardner, State College alumnus and former North Carolina governor. It was built by Biberstein, Bowles, & Meacham.
Nuclear reactor goes into operation
The R-1 reactor was the first non-government-run nuclear reactor in the world and the first designed, built, and operated by an academic institution. Design and construction had begun in 1950. It was the first of four reactors operated at NC State. More information on the nuclear reactor program can be found on the departmental website.
Kilgore Hall dedication
The new building housing the School of Forestry and the Department of Horticulture was formally dedicated as Kilgore Hall, named in honor of the late Dr. Benjamin Wesley Kilgore, former Dean of Agriculture, Director of the Agricultural Experiment Station, and the first head of North Carolina's Agricultural Extension Service.
Textile Library expands
The Textiles Library is renamed the Burlington Textiles Library after Burlington Industries funds its expansion.
WUNC-TV Studio built
The studios (also known as "Television Center") housed TV studios, offices, and other facilities for producing and transmitting programs.
Erdahl-Cloyd Student Union Named
The Erdahl-Cloyd Student Union is named for Jerry Erdahl and Edward Cloyd, administrators in Student Affairs.
Hurricane Hazel destroys the cupola on Becton Hall and the roof of the press box at Riddick Stadium.
New D.H. Hill Library building dedication
The new D. H. Hill Library (the east wing of the current building) was formally dedicated.
Burlington Nuclear Laboratories dedicated
The Burlington Nuclear Laboratories building is dedicated; located within the building is the first non-government-run nuclear reactor.
Weaver Laboratories built
Weaver Laboratories was built for Agricultural Engineering and named for David Stathem Weaver, a former director of the Agricultural Extension Service.
Danforth Chapel dedicated
Danforth Chapel was named for philanthropist W.H. Danforth and was inside the YMCA Building (King Religious Center).
Brooks Hall dedicated
Built as the original D.H. Hill Library, Brooks Hall was renamed and dedicated on April 12, 1956. It was remodeled to be the School of Design, with an addition to the North Side. Brooks Hall was named for Eugene Clyde Brooks, a former president of State College.
First marriage in Danforth Chapel
Jim Stewart, former president of the YMCA, becomes the first person to get married in State College's Danforth Chapel.
Morris Building named
The building that housed the Division of Maintenance and Operations was formally named the Morris Building after William Flaude Morris, the director of many years of the Service Department at North Carolina State College.
Robertson Pulp and Paper Laboratory dedicated
The Robertson Pulp and Paper Laboratory was named for Reuben B. Robertson, a pulp and paper industrialist and advocate of forest conservation.
Bragaw Hall construction
Construction of Bragaw Hall begins to draw attention. The "new modernistic dormitory" is a "familiar landmark on the campus." It was named for Henry C. Bragaw, an alumnus who was killed in World War II and awarded the Silver and Bronze Stars and two Purple Hearts.
Bragaw Hall dedication
Bragaw Hall is dedicated to the late Henry Churchill Bragaw, a well-known NC State alumnus who died during WWII. Bragaw was awarded two Purple Hearts and a Silver Star for his heroic actions during the war.
McKimmon Village opens
McKimmon Village opened as housing for married students.It was named for Jane McKimmon, an alumnus and founding member of the National Home Economics Association. It was renamed E.S. King Village in 1976.
Hodges Wood Products Laboratory dedicated
The Hodges Wood Products Laboratory was named for Brandon Patton Hodges, a former state senator, state treasurer, and advisor to the Champion Paper and Fiber Company, based in Canton, NC.
Women's enrollment reaches 308, and the Erdahl-Cloyd student center featured a special "coed" lounge.
Reading room named to honor Dr. Edgar Eugene Randolph
The Chemical Engineering department's reading room is dedicated in Riddick Labs in honor of Dr. Edgar Eugene Randolph, who was instrumental in developing the Chemical Engineering curriculum at NC State.
Reproductive Physiology Research Laboratory opens
The Reproductive Physiology Research Laboratory was founded to study reasons for the low reproductive rate in farm livestock.
Harrelson Hall dedicated
Harrelson Hall was designed by Holloway and Reeves with Edward Waugh. It was the first round classroom built on a university campus.
Popularity of Bragaw Hall
171 students wait in line in front of the Student Housing Office to get rooms in Bragaw Hall for the following year.
Syme Dormitory pronunciation survey
Students discover that the correct pronunciation of "Syme" Dormitory, is "sim," and that is named after George Frederick Syme, a civil engineer who served as the first president of the Raleigh Engineers Club. Over half of the students surveyed thought the pronunciation was "sime."
Carmichael Gymnasium dedicated
Carmichael Gymnasium was named for William Donald Carmichael, a World War I Veteran and advocate for the completion of Reynolds Colisseum.
Unpopularity of potential name change
Governor Sanford gets booed after an NC State-Wake Forest basketball game in Reynolds Coliseum by students protesting the possible name change of the University from North Carolina State College to the University of North Carolina at Raleigh.
Harris Cafeteria (now Hall) opens
Harris Hall was originally built as a cafeteria but later housed the departments of Counseling, Registration and Records, Student Development and Residence Facilities. It was named for NC State's first cafeteria manager, Louis Hines Harris, who was hired to feed students using a limited budget following World War I.
NC State acquires Yates Mill
Yates Mill, off Lake Wheeler Road near campus, was to be used as a research mill but fell into disrepair.
Fraternity Row built
Fraternity Row was later renamed Greek Court. Greek Court was renovated to become Greek Village.
Escaped pig captured
A pig which escaped from the Animal Disease Lab is captured in the ladies' restroom in Winston Hall.
Football game broadcast in Reynolds Coliseum
For the first time ever, an NC State football game is shown in Reynolds Coliseum via closed-circuit television.
Burlington Labs maintenance
Sixty gallons of anti-freeze are put in the cooling tower for the reactor in Burlington Laboratory, added to keep the 250 gallons of water in the tower from freezing during the winter.
Chinqua-Penn Plantation dedicated
The Chinqua-Penn Plantation was affiliated with NC State University until 2006, when it was purchased by a private citizen. It was the site of the Betsy-Jeff Penn 4-H Center.
Thompson Gymnasium becomes Thompson Theater
Thompson Theater was named for alumnus Frank Martin Thompson.
Mann Hall opens
Mann Hall was named for Carroll Lamb Mann, an alumnus and head of the Department of Civil Engineering from 1916 until his retirement in 1948.
Fraternity Court opens
Fraternity court opens with new buildings to house Greek organizations on campus.
- 1964 Quad Snack Bar built
General Labs building built
The General Labs building originally housed the administrative offices for the School of Physical and Mathematical Sciences, as well as the departments of Physics and Statistics. In 1970, it was renamed Cox Hall in honor of Gertrude Mary Cox, professor emeritus of experimental statistics.
Dorm '62 opens
"Dorm '62" is dedicated and opened to residents for the first time. The building would be renamed Lee Dormitory the following year.
Faculty Club dedicated
The Faculty Club, built by Guy Crampton, contained a dining hall, tennis courts, a swimming pool and a golf course. It was established through the efforts of Richard Reynolds, an alumnus and tobacco company heir.
Groundbreaking ceremony for Carter Stadium
A groundbreaking ceremony takes place for the construction of Carter Stadium (later Carter-Finley). It was named for Nick and Harry Carter.
Pullen Hall destroyed by fire
The original Pullen Hall is destroyed by a fire, which a former student later admitted to setting. Pullen Hall was built in 1902, and was the center of campus activities in the early twentieth century. It was located on the site of the present-day Peele Hall parking lot. A few years later, another building on campus was built and named Pullen Hall.
Final game at Riddick Stadium
The final football game is played in Riddick Stadium. Members of the football team mob Harold Deters after he kicks the winning field goal against Florida State, resulting in a final score of 3-0.
Carroll Hall built
Carroll Hall was named for Susan Catherine Colwell Carroll, a nurse who became the resident matron of the college infirmary.
Sullivan Hall built
Sullivan Hall was originally built as a dorm and is named for William Henry Sullivan, a former president of the Alumni Association and board member on the UNC Board of Trustees.
Doak Field opens
Doak Field opens as the new facility for the baseball team.
First game in Carter-Finley Stadium
Carter Stadium, as it was originally known, opened as the football team took on South Carolina; the stadium was dedicated during a halftime ceremony.
Carter Stadium and A.E. Finley Fieldhouse dedicated
The stadium was dedicated at the NC State versus University of South Carolina football game.
Free Expression Tunnel conduct established
Rules are established by the Campus Welfare Committee concerning the painting of the Free Expression Tunnel. Any use of obscenity or vulgarity "will be considered a Campus Code offense" and untasteful remarks will be removed.
Dearstyne Avian Health Center built
The Dearstyne Avian Health Center was named for Roy Styring Dearstyne, who served as professor of poultry science and pathologist for the Agricultural Experiment Station starting in 1922.
Harrye B. Lyons Design Library named
The School of Design Library was named in honor of Mrs. Lyons, librarian at the school for 20 years.
University Plaza (Brickyard) Dedicated
University Plaza (called "The Brickyard") was designed by Richard C. Bell, landscape architect. It was conceived as a public gathering place in the European tradition and has often been described as reminiscent of Saint Mark's Square in Venice.
Riddick Stadium demolished
A majority of Riddick Stadium is demolished to make room for more parking on campus. SAS Hall now stands on the site Riddick Stadium once occupied.
Southeastern Plant Environment Laboratories (Phytotron) dedicated
The Phytotron was created to research the influence of environment on primary growth processes in plants.
John W. Cell Library dedicated
The Cell Library was founded as a departmental library for mathematics and named for John W. Cell, head of the Department of Mathematics.
Schaub Food Science Building dedicated
The Schaub Food Science Building was named for Ira Obed Schaub, who served as Dean of the School of Agriculture, Director of the Agricultural Extension Service, and Director of the Experiment Station.
Dabney Hall built
Dabney Hall was built to house the Department of Chemistry and was named for Charles William Dabney, a charter member of the Watauga Club and a professor of Chemistry.
African American employees demand better pay
Sixteen African American Physical Plant employees visited the Chancellors office to request pay raises. The Physical Plant employees refused to leave the Chancellors office. All janitorial/housekeeping services in residence halls canceled as a result of financial pressure from protests for pay raises.
- 10/4/1969 Bowen, Carroll, and Metcalf Halls dedicated
School of Forest Resources Library
The School of Forest Resources Library opened in Biltmore Hall. It later became the Natural Resources Library.
Vietnam and Kent State protest
NC State students hold a convocation on the Brickyard in the aftermath of U.S. expansion of the Vietnam War into Cambodia, and the death of four Kent State University students in Ohio. The following day, nearly 6,000 students from NC State and other colleges protest by marching on the State Capitol.
- 8/1970 Lee Hall becomes NC State's first co-ed dorm
Cox Hall dedicated
Cox Hall was built to house Physics and Statistics and was named for Gertrude Mary Cox, the first female full professor at NC State.
Biltmore Hall dedicated
Biltmore Hall was built to house Teaching and Research and was named after the Biltmore Forest School, a forestry school near Biltmore Estate that was established by Dr. Carl Alvin Schenck.
A single entrance to the library (from the Brickyard) is established for the first time.
The light mural (later known as the Color Wall) in D. H. Hill Library was activated for the first time, but not yet fully completed. The mural was created by Joe Cox, a faculty member in the School of Design.
Library addition passed inspection
Construction ended on the new 11-story tower addition (North Tower) to the D.H. Hill Library.
Library tower addition opened
The new 11-story addition (North Tower) to the D.H. Hill Library opened
Cooking spaces approved for dorms
The Inter-Residence Council approves the construction of cooking spaces in all dorms, hoping to alleviate problems with students cooking illegally in their dorm rooms.
Randleigh Farm dedicated
Randleigh Farm was devoted to the research of improving methods of dairy farming. It was the bequest of William R. Kenan, Jr. and was sold to Wake County in 2005.
Case Athletics Center opens
The Case Athletics Center opens, named after Everett N. Case, Men's Basketball coach from 1946 to 1965.
Swann Memorial Library Dedicated
The Swann Memorial Library of Chemistry was named for Dr. Ralph C. Swann, former head of chemistry, and was located in Dabney Hall.
Talley Student Center opens
The Talley Student Center opened in June 1972 (shown here before the installation of the fountain and courtyard). It replaced the Erdahl-Cloyd building (now the west wing of D.H. Hill Library) as the campus student center.
June 21, 1972
Grinnells Animal Health Laboratory dedicated
The Grinnells Animal Health Laboratory was named for Claude Delbert Grinnells, professor of Animal Husbandry at NC State for 33 years. He was named North Carolina Veterinarian of the Year in 1958.
- 7/15/1972 State College Station Post Office becomes State University Station Post Office
Student housing shortage
A massive student housing shortage leaves 260 students without housing as classes begin.
North Tower Dedication
The original 11-story bookstack tower (now the North Tower) of the D. H. Hill Library is dedicated. With the addition, the bookstacks are opened to all users (previously, the library had had closed bookstacks).
Walnut Room Cafeteria Opened
The University Student Center's Walnut Room cafeteria opened for the first time on this day at 11:30am.
M.E. Gardner Arboretum dedicated
The Gardner Arboretum is located on a one-acre tract between Patterson Hall and Burlington Laboratories. It was named for M.E. Gardner, former head of the Department of Horticulture.
Stewart Theatre and Price Music Center dedicated
The two buildings were dedicated during a ceremony at which the North Carolina State University Symphony Orchestra and Choir presented a concert. The 816-seat theater had opened during the Fall 1972 semester. It was named for James Jackson Stewart, Jr., Dean of Student Affairs from 1954 to 1969.
Textiles Auditorium renamed M.E. (Sandy) Campbell Auditorium
The School of Textiles Auditorium was renamed in honor of Malcolm E. Campbell, Dean Emeritus of the School of Textiles
International student dorm
An announcement is made that Alexander Hall will become a dorm for international students.
Alcohol is banned from Reynolds Coliseum.
New African American Cultural Center proposed
In 1974, African American students called for a new cultural center. Student Body President Terry Carroll presented a four point request to Chancellor Caldwell, which included a request for the first floor of the Print Shop to be turned over to the Society of Afro-American Culture for an African American Cultural Center. Banks C. Talley, dean of student affairs, complied with this request.
Erdahl-Cloyd Student Union becomes West Wing of D.H. Hill Library
The old Erdahl-Cloyd Student Union was remodeled to include a book reserve room, an undergraduate browsing collection, and an audiovisual room.
Campus power failure
NC State's campus is plunged into a complete power failure for an hour and forty minutes, starting at 11:10pm. The failure was caused by faulty equipment.
New Print Shop built
The new Print Shop on Sullivan Drive replaces the old one on West Dunn and Dan Allen. It houses University Graphics.
College Inn purchased by Wolfpack Club
The College Inn, formerly a motel, was purchased by the Wolfpack Club and converted into a residence hall.
January 1, 1976
NC State buys State Capitol Life Insurance Building
The Hillsborough Building, on the corner of Hillsborough and Fairmount streets, was purchased to house the computing center and offices for the Department of Economics.
E.S. King Village named
Married students housing, previously called McKimmon Village, was renamed for Edward S. King, the general secretary of the YMCA on campus from 1919 to 1955.
University Student Center Plaza opens
The University Student Center Plaza, in front of the old University Student Center (now Talley), was designed by landscape architect Richard Bell.
October 18, 1976
Jane S. McKimmon Center for Extension and Continuing Education dedicated
The McKimmon Center was named for Jane McKimmon, an alumnus and founding member of the National Home Economics Association. She was also North Carolina’s first home demonstration agent, in 1911.
Groundbreaking of Gardner Hall Addition
The Gardner Hall Addition was built by Carter Williams Architects.
New Pullen Bridge opens
The new Pullen Bridge replaces the old one, which had stood for 50 years. It spans the railroad tracks that run through campus.
Kamphoefner Hall built
Kamphoefner Hall was named for Henry L. Kamphoefner, founding dean of the College of Design. It was built by Charlotte-based Wolf Associates to provide studio, teaching, and office space.
Student Government's "The Day" and the Inter-Residence Council's "Zoo Day" are combined (retaining the latter name), as a day for students to relax and take a break from the pressures of the end of the academic year. Zoo Day was held along Cates Avenue, offering a day of free beer, field games, and concerts.
Paul H. Derr Track
The University Track is renamed the Paul H. Derr Track, for the long-time track and field coach.
North Hall acquired by N.C. State
North Hall (formerly the Lemon Tree Inn) was acquired by N.C. State and used as a dormitory.
Carter Stadium renamed Carter-Finley Stadium
The stadium was renamed in honor of Wilbert James "Nick" Carter, Harry Clifton Carter, and Albert Earle Finley. Both Carters were top executives at J.P. Stevens and Finley was a successful businessman and philanthropist.
N.C. State University Arboretum dedicated
The Arboretum, located on Beryl Road, was later renamed for Dr. J.C. Raulston, its founder and director.
December 17, 1980
Bostian Hall dedicated
Bostian Hall, named for Chancellor Carey Hoyt Bostian, was built as an addition to Gardner Hall to house the biological sciences.
Caldwell Hall opens
Caldwell Hall, named for Chancellor John T. Caldwell, was designed by Edward Larrabee Barnes in collaboration with J.N. Pease. It originally housed the Dean's Offices of Humanities, the Department of Political Science, and the Japan Center.
Solar House dedicated
The Solar House showcases the solar and solar-efficient technologies of the NC Solar Center. It is intended for public education as well as scholarly research.
Wells Auditorium dedicated
Wells Auditorium, inside Bostian Hall, was named for Bertram W. Wells, former head of the Botany Department.
Harkema Auditorium dedicated
Harkema Auditorium, inside Bostian Hall, was named for Reinard Harkema, a professor in the Department of Zoology
L.R. Harrill Suite in Ricks Hall dedicated
The Harrill Suite was named for L.R. Harrill, the former director of the state 4-H organization. He was known as "Mr. 4-H."
Stuckey Building dedicated
The Stuckey Building is the main building at the Minerals Research Laboratory in Asheville. It was named for Dr. Jasper Leonidas Stuckey, professor of Geology
- 1982 Weisiger-Brown Athletics Facility opens
McLean Mural displayed in the Student Center
The original four murals, by artist James A. McLean for the Works Progress Administration, hung in Brooks Hall and were removed due to public outcry. Three were destroyed but one was rediscovered and formally installed in the Student Center in 1982.
South Hall built
"New South Hall" (a dormitory) was later renamed Wood Hall for George M. Wood, an alumnus, legislator, member of the UNC Board of Governors, and chairman of the N.C. State Trustees
School of Veterinary Medicine dedicated
The Dedication ceremony was attended by first dean Terrence M. Curtin, Governor James B. Hunt, Chancellor Bruce Poulton, and UNC System President William Friday.
The air conditioning system in Harrelson Hall breaks down, sending temperatures in some classrooms into the 90s.
Carmichael Gymnasium Addition completed
This addition added 130,000 square feet with amenities such as an Olympic-size swimming pool, an indoor jogging track, and a dance studio.
Centennial Campus established
North Carolina Governor (and NC State alumnus) James B. Hunt, Jr., alloted the initial 355-acre parcel of land for the university's Centennial Campus. The land had previously been part of the Dorothea Dix hospital.
Administrative Services Building built
The Administrative Services Building (now Administrative Services II) was built for the Finance and Business Division.
Cunningham Center established
When Raymond P. Cunningham left his Kinston estate to NCSU, it became the Cunningham Center, now the Cunningham Research Station. In 1989, it was combined with the Lower Coastal Plain Tobacco Research Station.
Strolling Professor statue dedicated
The "Strolling Professor," a bronze statue in Gardner Arboretum that depicts chemistry professor William R. Johnson, was dedicated
Groundbreaking of Natural Resources Research Center
Construction begins on the Natural Resources Research Center, later renamed Jordan Hall in honor of R.B. Jordan, Jr., and his children. The Jordan family has a history of strong support for NC State University.
Court of North Carolina dedicated
The Court of North Carolina was previously used as a cow pasture and later as the site of the Quonset Huts that served as housing for World War II veterans. Legend has it that planted within the Court were trees to represent each of North Carolina's 100 counties, but there is no evidence that was ever the case.
Yarbrough Court dedicated
Yarbrough Court, the court surrounded by Holladay, Peele, Leazar, and Watauga Halls, is named after Mary E. Yarbrough, the first women to earn a graduate degree from NC State and one of the first three women to graduate from the university.
- 1987 First buildings on Centennial Campus constructed
Listening Vessels (Sound Sculpture) installed in the Brickyard
The Listening Vessels, sitting 90 feet apart, amplify sound such that people can talk into them at normal volumes and hear each other. It was created by sculptor Doug Hollis in honor of the University's participation in the 1987 Olympic Festival.
First Permanent Building on Centennial Campus
The building that later was named Research I was first occupied.
College of Textiles construction began
Ground was broken for the College of Textiles complex, an estimated $31 million.
Information Technologies Teaching Center (ITTC)
The Information Technologies Teaching Center (ITTC) is established in the D. H. Hill Library, initially funded through a gift from the Class of 1990.
A new addition to the D. H. Hill Library (South Tower) opened. Besides bookstack space, this addition featured a special facilities room and the Class of 1989 Reading Room.
Ground broken for Research Building II
After a site had been selected in Nov. 1988, ground was broken for Research Building II in Feb. 1990.
October 12, 1990
New Pullen Hall dedicated
Pullen Hall was named for Richard Stanhope Pullen, who gave the original 62 acres of land to the University (then, college). Old Pullen Hall burned down in 1965.
Construction on ABB building
After a site had been chosen in June, construction on the ABB building began in Dec.
New College of Textiles Building
The new College of Textiles building on Centennial Campus opened its doors in 1991. The new building included computer facilities, heavy machinery processing laboratories, classrooms, meeting spaces, administrative offices, and the Burlington Textiles Library, and represented an approximate 50% increase in net usable space over the Nelson and David Clark Laboratory facilities.
PAMS establishes The Science House
PAMS establishes The Science House to provide hands-on science opportunities to K-12 students. Today, The Science House is a national model for the interaction of university science departments and K-12 students and teachers. Through its main office on Centennial Campus, five satellite offices throughout the state, and its online presence, The Science House annually impacts 5,000 teachers and 35,000 students across North Carolina and beyond.
Women's Center Opened
The Women's Center opened with Jan Rogers as its coordinator. Rogers began the Women's Leadership Education and Action Program (LEAP), which aimed to enhance the experience of women in nontraditional fields such as math, science, and engineering.
- 1991 Campus Child Care Center opens
Burlington Textile Library on Centennial Campus
In conjunction with the move of the College of Textiles, the Burlington Textile Library moved to Centennial Campus, making it the first library unit on the new campus. It remained in the College of Textiles complex until December 2012, when the collections were moved into the Hunt Library.
Centennial Campus Corporate Partner
Asea Brown Boveri (ABB) moves into Centennial Campus, becoming the first corporate tenant there.
The installation of a new irrigation system in the lawn next to the Student Center Annex (now called Witherspoon Student Center) results in a cut gas line, forcing the evacuation of Harris Hall, Pullen Hall, and the Student Center Annex.
- 1992 ABB becomes the University's first industrial partner on Centennial Campus
- 1992 Scott Hall Renovated
Visual Arts Center opened
The Visual Arts Center opened in the Talley Student Center. The arts center later became known as the Gregg Museum of Art & Design.
February 1, 1992
Willis R. Casey Aquatic Center dedicated
The Casey Aquatic Center (also called the Carmichael Natatorium) was added onto Carmichael Gymnasium. Willis Casey was head swimming coach and later Athletics Director, from 1969 to 1986.
May 2, 1992
Fountain Dining Hall dedicated
Fountain Dining Hall was built in 1982 and named for Dr. Alvin Marcus Fountain, professor of English for 46 years.
May 1, 1992
Alumni Centennial Gateway dedicated
At the corner of Western Boulevard and Gorman Street, the Alumni Centennial Gateway is a steel wall 18 feet high and 128 feet long, marking the entrance to the western part of campus.
Construction of Research Building III
After the site had been chosen in Apr. 1992, construction on the building began in Feb. 1993.
National Weather Service office established
The National Weather Service established a Forecast Office in Research Building III and became the first government partner at Centennial Campus.
Textile Protection and Comfort Center established
The Textile Protection and Comfort Center, within the College of Textiles on Centennial Campus, provides a facility for testing the performance of various textile materials
- 10/1994 Centennial Campus 10-Year Celebration
Witherspoon Student Center dedicated
The building formerly known as the Student Center Annex was dedicated on this date to honor Dr. Augustus McIver Witherspoon. It thus became the first building on campus named after an African American. Dr. Witherspoon earned his Ph.D. in Botany from NCSU in 1971, making him the second African American student to receive a Ph.D. from NC State. He joined the faculty as Instructor of Botany and eventually held the following posts at NCSU: Full Professor, Assistant ... More
- 6/1995 Research Building IV construction began
Constructed Facilities Laboratory building opens
Department laboratory space expands to occupy part of the Constructed Facilities Laboratory on Centennial Campus. The laboratory became a hub of collaboration between the Civil Engineering department and private and government entities, to develop and evaluate the performance of new products and innovative structural systems. The facility included an environmental chamber used to test large-scale structural components subjected to severe environmental conditions, ... More
- 11/1996 First departments from College of Engineering move to Centennial Campus
A campus street is named after Katharine Stinson
Katharine Stinson, the first woman to graduate from NC State's School of Engineering, has a street named after her. Katharine Stinson Drive, formerly North Yarbrough Drive, is one of the longest streets on campus.
Partners Building 1
After construction had begun in Aug. 1995, staff moved into the building in January 1997.
Centennial Parkway opened
The 1.9 miles Centennial Parkway access road opened at a cost of approximately $5 million.
Liquid Order Plaza built
The Liquid Order Plaza, adjacent to the Monteith Research Center on Centennial Campus, was designed by artist Jun Kaneko.
Raleigh Entertainment and Sports Arena groundbreaking
A groundbreaking ceremony was held for the new Raleigh Entertainment and Sports Arena, located next to Carter-Finley Stadium, which was being built as the new home of NC State Men's Basketball and the NHL's Carolina Hurricanes. This became the RBC Center and, later, the PNC Arena.
- 1998 Engineering Graduate Research Center dedicated
Fraternity Court was renamed Greek Village.
- 1999 Partners Building II completed
Student Health Center built
The Student Health Center building houses medical clinics, health education, mental health services and disability services.
First game at the PNC Arena
The NC State Men's Basketball team beats Georgia, 67-63, in their first game at the PNC Arena (formerly the RBC Center).
Centennial Magnet Middle School
After construction had begun in 1997, the Centennial Magnet Middle School opened in Aug. 2000.
After an overtime football victory over Georgia Tech at Carter-Finley Stadium, NC State students tear down a goalpost and carry it down Hillsborough Street towards campus, making it as far the Waffle House; the goalpost costs $5,000 to replace.
- 2001 Toxicology Building Opened on Centennial Campus
Hill of Beans coffee bar
The Hill of Beans coffee bar opened in the D. H. Hill Library.
Varsity Research Building opens
Originally known as the Flex Building, the Varsity Research Building served as swing space during a ten year construction campaign. It now houses various research units.
Wendell H. Murphy Football Center opens
Wendell Murphy, an alumnus, is a philanthropist and member of the Alexander Quarles Holladay Lifetime Giving Society.
Fox Science Teaching Laboratory opens
The Fox Science Teaching Laboratory opens, making new undergraduate chemistry lab facilities to students.
- 2004 J.W. Isenhour tennis facility opens
- 2004 Partners Building III completed
Engineering Building I completed
This building was funded through the Bonds for Education program.
Wolf Village opens
Wolf Village Housing Complex provides housing for upperclassmen on campus
September 17, 2004
Joyner Visitor Center dedicated
The Joyner Visitor Center was named for E. Carroll Joyner, an alumnus and honorary degree recipient. He also received the Watauga medal and was director of the NC State Foundation. The center was founded for prospective students and their families, as well as other visitors.
Monteith Engineering Research Center renamed
The Engineering Graduate Research Center was renamed after Larry Monteith, chancellor of NC State from 1989 to 1998.
Engineering Building II completed
This building was funded through the Bonds for Education program.
- 2005 College of Veterinary Medicine Research Building opens
William and Ida Friday Institute for Educational Innovation
After being established in 2003, the Friday Institute moved into its new facility in Nov. 2005
Block S changes on the Brickyard
The Block S on the Brickyard was changed to include the "N" and "C." Previously it has just had the letter "S," which caused Chancellor Oblinger to say "it looks like this is Stanford."
Park Alumni Center
The Dorothy and Roy Park Alumni Center opened on the southern shore of Lake Raleigh
Funding for new Centennial Campus library
The North Carolina General Assembly appropriates funding for the planning of the new James B. Hunt Jr. Library, to be built on Centennial Campus.
Centennial Biomedical Campus groundbreaking
Anchored by the College of Veterinary Medicine, the CBC is located on the corner of Hillsborough Street and Blue Ridge Road. It is home to the Randall B. Terry, Jr. Companion Animal Veterinary Medical Center, more than 60 corporate and government partners, and 73 academic units.
East Wing renovation
A major renovation of the east wing of the D. H. Hill Library was completed, featuring the Learning Commons, the Conservatory, the Special Collections Reading Room, and the Exhibit Gallery. The opening of the newly refurbished space coincided with the fifty-second anniversary of the dedication of the original building in 1955.
The Golden LEAF Biomanufacturing Training and Education Center (BTEC) was established on Centennial Campus. The facility allows for simulation of biopharmaceutical products and packaging in a sterile environment.
Racist graffiti directed at Obama
Racist and threatening graffiti, directed at (then) President-elect Barack Obama, was found in the Free Expression Tunnel. Because of the threats, the Secret Service was among those called to investigate. The four students responsible were identified and admitted to the act. The students issued an anonymous public apology. In response to the incident, which received international media attention, Chancellor Oblinger established the Campus Culture Task Force ... More
SAS Hall dedicated
SAS Hall is dedicated as the new home of the Departments of Mathematics and Statistics. The 119,000 square-foot building houses state-of-the-art classrooms, computer labs, tutorial centers and meeting and study space for students and faculty.
Keystone Science Center built
The Center, originally called the Centennial Science Center, houses the FREEDM Center, as well as office and lab space. It is on Centennial Campus.
Lonnie Poole Golf Course opened
Poole was founder of Waste Industries USA, and he contributed $3 million to the project.
Construction begins on the New Chancellor's Residence
College of Design Dean Marvin Malecha leads the design effort.
Wolf Sculptures unveiled in Wolf Plaza
The trio of bronze wolf sculptures were created by artist Michael Stutz.
- 2010 Terry Companion Veterinary Medical Center opens
Engineering Building III dedicated
This building was built with 80 labs and 2 wind tunnels, and it had the first green roof on Centennial Campus.
The Point completed
The new chancellor's residence replaced the one on Hillsborough Street, which then became the Gregg Museum.
Innovation Cafe opens
The Innovation Cafe provides Engineering and Textiles students with a new eating option.
Greek Village reopens
Greek Village reopened with the newly constructed Kappa Delta house. Redevelopment of Greek Village had begun in 2008 when the aging buildings began to be demolished.
Gregg Museum moves
The Gregg Museum of Art & Design temporarily moves off-campus to Brickhaven, near the Raulston Arboretum, while the Old Chancellor's Residence space is prepared for it.
James B. Hunt Jr. Library dedication
The library was named in honor of former four-term N.C. Governor and NC State alumnus James B. Hunt Jr.
Research Building I renamed Poulton Innovation Center
Research Building I was renamed after Bruce Poulton, 10th chancellor of NC State (1982-1989). The university had acquired Centennial Campus during his term in office.
New Talley Student Union, Phase I opened
With the new construction and remodeling, Phase I of the new Talley Student Union opened with four new dining options and the Talley Market.
AIA/ALA Library Building Award
Immediately after dedication, the James B. Hunt Jr. Library won the American Institute of Architects and the American Library Association Building Award. It later garnered many additional prestigious awards and was featured in Architecture magazine. Time magazine called it the "library of the future."
Award Winning Hunt Library
The Hunt Library won the ALA Library Interior Design Award and the AIA Education Facility Design Award.
Talley Student Center renovation completed
The renovated space provides office for the Office for Institutional Equity and Diversity, the Division of Academic and Student Affairs, Multicultural Student Affairs, Greek Life, and the University Graduate Student Association.