College of Engineering
- 1906 Department of Civil Engineering established
- 1923 School of Engineering established
Engineering Experiment Station established
The station was established as "the research agency in engineering" to support extension work for the School of Engineering. The station was intended to address engineering issues of local state and regional concern. H.B. Shaw became its first director.
Wallace Carl Riddick, First Engineering Dean
Riddick steps down as the university president to become the first dean of the School of Engineering. He serves in that position until 1937.
Industrial Engineering curriculum established
Curriculum in industrial engineering is announced, with the first courses to be offered in the fall of 1930
Consolidation of engineering programs
The process of consolidating State College's and UNC-Chapel Hill's engineering programs into one program at State College begins.
Blake Ragsdale Van Leer becomes dean
He serves in the position until 1942.
Consolidation of Engineering Program
The Consolidated University (NC State, UNC, and Woman's College) consolidates all engineering programs at NC State. Engineering faculty and $40,000 worth of equipment are transferred from UNC to NC State.
First work study program
State College's first work study program begins for Engineering students, with approximately twenty students employed.
First female Engineering graduate
Katharine Stinson becomes the first woman to graduate from NC State's School of Engineering. Stinson received a Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering degree, Aeronautical Option. Stinson was taking flying lessons at the old Raleigh Airport on US-401 when Amelia Earhart flew in for a visit in the early 1930s. When Stinson told Earhart that she wanted to become a pilot, Earhart advised her to become an engineer, a career Stinson pursued in spite of obstacles that ... More
First Architectural Engineering female graudate
Margery Belle Garriss becomes the first woman to graduate in Architectural Engineering.
L. L. Vaughn, Acting Dean
Vaughn serves as acting dean of the School of Engineering from 1942 to 1945 .
Special summer courses
The faculty approve a plan to hold fall engineering classes in the summer as part of a nationwide war effort to accelerate graduation at technical schools for the benefit of the war effort.
Higher female enrollment sought
Increased enrollment by women needed in engineering courses; urgent appeals are made as the male students leave to fight in the war.
Engineering fellowships for women
Eighteen young women win a fellowship of $1,425 from Pratt & Whitney Aircraft, which will employ them as engineering aides after they complete a 48-week course offered by State College.
John Lampe becomes Engineering dean
John Harold Lampe becomes Dean of the School of Engineering. During his time at NC State, Lampe oversaw the expansion of the engineering program as it became one of the largest in the country, while also facilitating the addition of new instructional and research programs, especially nuclear engineering. Lampe retired from NC State in 1962.
Minerals Research Laboratory opens
The Minerals Research Laboratory opens in Asheville, North Carolina. The Laboratory was initially created as a collaboration between the Tennessee Valley Authority, who provided equipment and funds, and the Division of Mineral Resources of the North Carolina Department of Conservation and Development, who provided the building. State Geologist and NC State professor Jasper L. Stuckey was involved in securing the initial contract for the Laboratory and served as its founding Director.
Diesel Engineering graduate program established
After receiving a loan of $2,000,000 worth of diesel engines from the U.S. Navy, the College of Engineering is able to launch a graduate program in Diesel Engineering.
Female faculty increases
Twenty-two women are listed on the faculty, most at the instructor or laboratory technician level. Departments with more than one female member include English (six), Statistics (three), Textiles (three), and Modern Languages (two). Women are also on the faculty in Architecture, Agricultural Economics, Mathematics, Physics, Social Studies, Chemistry, Engineering, Research, and Agronomy.
Dedication of Riddick Laboratory
Over 200 citizens gather for a ceremony at the newly-opened Riddick Laboratory. The lab building, constructed for $1,300,000, is dedicated to Dr. Wallace Carl Riddick, NC State's first Dean of Engineering, and the university's fourth president.
LeRoy Martin awarded Master of Engineering Mathematics degree
LeRoy Martin was awarded a Master of Engineering Mathematics degree. He later helped to establish the computer science program at NC State.
First African-American graduate students admitted
State College admits two African-American graduate students into the School of Engineering: Robert Clemons and Hardy Liston. Clemons became the college's first black graduate; Liston later withdrew and didn't complete his degree.
School of Engineering takes over Asheville Minerals Research Laboratory
In 1950, the TVA announced that due to budget restrictions it would be required to discontinue support of the Minerals Research Laboratory. The TVA agreed to give the State of North Carolina the equipment in the laboratory “if the State would continue to operate the Laboratory for the benefit of the mineral producers in the area.” Governor William B. Umstead determined that the Minerals Research Laboratory should become “a function of State College,” and in 1954, ... More
Industrial Experiment Program established
The North Carolina General Assembly provided support for the establishment of the Industrial Experiment Program, a service which expanded upon existing extension services in the School of Engineering to provide technical information to small industries. The program was designed to encourage new industry for the state and to increase utilization of the state’s natural resources.
Electronic analog computer
Students working on spinner rocket project with a Goodyear Electronic Differential analyzer, a type of electronic analog computer, August 1956.
Department of Physics relocated
The Department of Physics moves from the School of Engineering to become a founding department in the new School of Physical Science and Applied Mathematics.
Industrial Experiment Program becomes Industrial Extension Service
Financial support for engineering extension doubled under North Carolina’s State Technical Services Act and the Public Works and Economic Development Act, and the Industrial Experiment Program changed its name to the Industrial Extension Service to give it a title more indicative of its function. The School of Engineering continued its extension classes in industrial centers in Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and High Point, and frequently offered upper level and graduate course work at the centers.
Anna Clyde Fraker becomes first woman to earn engineering master's degree at NCSU
Anna Clyde Fraker, a native of Greenville, TN, with a B.S. in Chemistry from Furman University ('57), became the first woman to receive an advanced degree in engineering at NC State when she received her master's degree in metallurgical engineering in the Department of Mineral Industries.
Ralph Fadum becomes dean of the School of Engineering
He serves in the position until 1978.
Mercury space capsule displayed
A Mercury space capsule, on loan from NASA, is one of the exhibits displayed at the annual Engineers' Fair.
National Science Foundation grant
NC State received its first NSF grant to create a science development plan in order to strengthen faculties in the biosciences; support materials, mechanics and electrotechnics in engineering; and support the social sciences.
Anna Clyde Fraker becomes first woman to receive a doctorate in ceramic engineering (and in the College of Engineering) at NCSU
Dr. Fraker began her career at NC State's Department of Engineering Research, where she contributed to biomaterials engineering research. Her research focused on surgical implant materials, seeking to find a material that was compatible with the chemistry of the human body but would not corrode. In her later work at the National Bureau of Standards and Technology (NIST), Dr. Fraker's research led to the development of standards for implant materials.
Rajendra Pachauri awarded doctorate
Rajendra Pachauri was awarded a Doctor of Philosophy degree. He had previously earned a Master of Science degree in 1972. Later, in 2007, he shared the Nobel Peace Prize.
Larry K. Monteith becomes dean
He serves in the position until he is named interim chancellor in 1989.
Calvin H. Carter, Jr., awarded doctorate
Calvin H. Carter, Jr., was awarded a Doctor of Philosophy degree. He had previously earned a Bachelor of Science degree in 1977 and a Master of Science degree in 1980. He later became co-founder of Cree, Inc., and was a 2002 recipient of the National Medal of Technology and Innovation.
Analytical Instrument Facility established
The Analytical Instrument Facility is established, and is later placed on Centennial Campus in the Monteith Research Center, to support research and extension work in the College of Engineering. P.E. Russell is the first director of the AIF.
Cree, the world's first manufacturer of energy-saving blue light-emitting diodes (LEDs), is established, after it arose out of a process developed by Calvin H. Carter, Jr., and other former students of Robert Davis.
Schools become Colleges
Eight of the university's academic schools are redesignated as colleges.
First College of Engineering female African-American faculty member
Christine Grant (Chemical Engineering) becomes the first African-American female faculty member appointed in the College of Engineering.
James K. Ferrell, Interim Dean
Ferrell serves as interim dean until 1991.
Wilbur L. Meier Jr. becomes dean
He serves in the position until 1993.
Tildon H. Glissom, Interim Dean
Glissom serves as interim dean from until 1994.
Ralph K. Cavin III becomes dean
He serves in the position until 1995.
- 1996 John G. Gilligan, Interim Dean
Nino A. Masnari becomes dean
He serves in the position until 2006.
A campus street is named after Katharine Stinson
Katharine Stinson, the first woman to graduate from NC State's School of Engineering, has a street named after her. Katharine Stinson Drive, formerly North Yarbrough Drive, is one of the longest streets on campus.
Women in Science and Engineering program established
The Women in Science and Engineering (WISE) program is established with 56 freshman women with majors in PAMS and the College of Engineering. As of 2009, this living and learning village has a full complement of 256 women majoring in five colleges across campus, and a high school chapter has been established at the North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics.
- 2006 Louis Martin-Vega becomes dean
FREEDM Systems Center created
NSF Engineering Research Center (ERC) for Future Renewable Electric Energy Delivery and Management (FREEDM) Systems is established to will develop technology that revolutionizes the power grid and speeds energy produced from solar panels, wind farms, fuel cells and other renewable sources into homes and businesses.
- 2012 College of Engineering Celebrated 125 Years
ASSIST Center established
The NSF Nanosystems Engineering Research Center for Advanced Self-Powered Systems of Integrated Sensors and Technologies (ASSIST) was established to create self-powered devices to help people monitor their health and understand how the surrounding environment affects it. With both the ASSIST and FREEDM centers, NC State become the only university with two NSF engineering research centers.