James A. Butler became North Carolina's first county extension agent, hired to conduct demonstration work in boll weevil eradication.
County Agent James A. Butler arranged for 2.5 acres of corn and 2 acres of cotton to be grown according to U.S. Department of Agriculture recommendations on the farm of J. F. Eagles near Statesville. This was the first farm demonstration in North Carolina.
College officials signed the first memorandum of understanding for cooperative demonstration work with the United States Department of Agriculture. The memorandum provided for the establishment of the Farmers' Boys' Clubs or Corn Clubs. These clubs are the forerunners of the 4-H program.
Ira O. Schaub became the first director of the Corn Club work, which eventually grew into 4-H.
The North Carolina Agricultural Experiment Station (located at A&M College) hired Neil Alexander Bailey as its first African American agricultural extension agent.
Home Demonstration began when the first Girls' Clubs were formed. They focused primarily on tomato canning and gardening and were also called Tomato Clubs. In 1912-1913 mothers of Girls' Club members began to form the first Home Demonstration clubs for adult women.
Jane S. McKimmon became the first woman to serve as a state home demonstration agent through the Agricultural Extension program at A&M College.
The Smith-Lever Act provided for federal, state, and county cooperation in creating a system to expand demonstration and extension work for men and women. The law authorized land-grant colleges to sign memoranda of understanding with the United States Department of Agriculture to begin such work. NC State then created a new Department of Extension, which became the Agricultural Extension Service.
The first club for African-American youth was created in Sampson County under the leadership of G.W. Herring.
Benjamin W. Kilgore became the first director of the North Carolina Agricultural Extension Service.
John Wray became the first statewide African American youth club agent.
The first annual 4-H Club Week was held in Raleigh. This annual event later became NC 4-H Congress.
This was the first periodical published by the Agricultural Extension Service. Later titles for it were Extension Farm News, Extension News & Advisor, and North Carolina Agricultural Extension Advisor.
The Girls' Club split off from Home Demonstration, and they eventually became part of 4-H.
The first Home Demonstration programs were organized for African American women.
Swine Extension agents set up a demonstration in front of the old Pullen Hall during the Farmers Convention, August 27-29, 1919.
The first Farm Women's Convention was held in Raleigh. It was held in connection with the annual Farmer's Convention (which had begun in 1903). At this meeting the Federation of Home Bureaus was created.
Elimination of this pest with the state's cotton crop became a major focus of the Agricultural Extension Service
Ricks Hall, built by Thomas Wright Cooper and G. Murray Nelson, opens to house the Agricultural Extension Service, Agricultural Economics and Business, Agricultural Information, and Horticulture departments. It was named for Robert Henry Ricks.
The first African American home demonstration agents were appointed to work with African American farm women, who formed first African American clubs.
Ira O. Schaub became director of the Agricultural Extension Service. He held the position until 1950. In 1926 he also became Dean of Agriculture and in 1937 Director of Agricultural Research.
The Federation of Home Bureaus changed to the North Carolina Federation of Home Demonstration Clubs.
Robert Walter Graeber was hired as the extension forester. He served in this position until 1949.
Lera R. Harrill was appointed State 4-H Club Leader. He held this position until 1963.
The first State 4-H Short Course for African American youth was held at North Carolina A & T College in Greensboro.
This camp was located in Bladen County, and it was one of the first 4-H Camps in North Carolina.
The Xi Chapter of Epsilon Sigma Phi was founded at NC State College. It has been an honorary fraternity for professional members of the Cooperative Extension programs.
Federation of Home Demonstration Clubs held its first separate business meeting, called the State Council meeting.
Located in Buncombe County, this camp was originally twelve agriculturally marginal acres that were part of the Swannanoa Branch Station.
Programs of the federal New Deal agricultural agencies, such as the Agricultural Adjustment Administration (AAA), the Soil Conservation Service (SCS), and the Rural Electrification Administration (REA), caused an expansion in the activities and programs of the North Carolina Agricultural Extension Service.
As a result of expansion under the New Deal agricultural programs, this was the first year that there was a county agent for every county in North Carolina.
Current succeeded Jane McKimmon, and she served in the position until 1963.
Sometimes referred to as "The Rocks," this camp was developed originally by the Resettlement Administration on part of the 60,000 acre Sandhills Resettlement Project. It derived its name from the huge granite stones in the area. Starting in 1939, it was the site of the 4-H Wildlife Conservation Camp for several year.
District kings and queens of health at the 4-H Short Course. NC State has traditionally hosted youth groups on campus during the summers. The North Carolina 4-H Short Courses, State Club Weeks, and State Congresses have been held at NC State since the 1920s.
The 4-H "Food for Victory" program offered awards ranging from to $1 to $250 in war bonds or stamps for farm boys and girls who participated in the "Food for Freedom" extension program. They helped produce more milk, eggs, beef and veal, lamb and mutton, corn, barley, rye, hay, soybeans, peanuts, and vegetables.
The Agricultural Extension Service sponsored "Victory Garden Week." Women across the state started Victory Gardens the following season, and by 1944 the value of home gardens was estimated at $68,000,000.
NC 4-H Club members participated in the first national scrap drive in 1942, collecting metal, paper, and rubber. Nationally in 1943 4-H sponsored a "Victory Scrap Drive," and North Carolina 4-H'ers raised $1,700 dollars for the purchase of an ambulance donated to the armed services.
4-H club members began participating in the national "Feed a Fighter" campaign, which consisted of projects to produce the amount of food needed for one serviceman for one year. The state winner raised enough food to feed thirty-four servicemen for one year.
State 4-H Club Leader L. R. Harrill and others watch as the U.S.S. Tyrrell is launched from Wilmington. North Carolina 4-H helped fund and name two warships during World War II.
State Federation of Negro Home Demonstration Clubs changed to State Council of Negro Home Demonstration Clubs of North Carolina.
The School of Agriculture was reorganized, bringing three fields of work - teaching, research, and extension - into the direct orbit of the School.
The Agricultural Extension Service began to assist farm families through planning of new or remodels homes, kitchen and workroom improvements, and added storage. After a few years thousands of families had been helped.
David S. Weaver is director of the Agricultural Extension Service until 1961.
Plant Disease Clinic established in the Department of Plant Pathology as a diagnostic clinic for farmers and gardeners in North Carolina, processing plant specimens sent by mail or in person for immediate disease control recommendations. In 1970 it broadened to become the Plant Disease and Insect Clinic after bringing on scientists from the Department of Entomology.
Camp J.W. Mitchell opened for African American 4-H youth at Hammock's Beach in Onslow County. Funding for the camp had been raised by the 4-H Club Foundation of North Carolina, founded in 1950.
The Agricultural Extension Service was given the major role in North Carolina is using federal funds to assist low-income rural families through improved agriculture and nonfarm employment.
Farmers watched a demonstration of North Carolina State Colleges fistulated cow during Farm and Home Week in June 1956. NC Cooperative Extension Service demonstrations like this helped to share knowledge gained at NC State with farmers throughout North Carolina.
Mrs. H. H. Weathers, a member of the Wake County Home Demonstration Club, performed in "Baccy Time in the South" as a part of the Farm and Home Week talent night.
Federation of Home Demonstration Clubs changed to the North Carolina Organization of Home Demonstration Clubs.
The forestry extension program was split into Extension Forest Management and Extension Wood Products.
Robert W. Shoffner is director of the Extension Service until 1963.
Forestry extension specialists were transferred from the School of Agriculture to the School of Forestry.
Twenty-three years after Gertrude Cox's appointment, Eloise Cofer, Extension Professor of Food Science and Assistant Director of the Agricultural Extension Service becomes the second woman to be appointed as a full professor. In 1980, Cofer was named Home Economist of the Year by the N.C. Home Economics Association.
Home Demonstration name changed to Home Economics.
George Hyatt served as Director of the Extension Service until 1978.
This facility near Reidsville was originally owned by the Consolidated University of North Carolina. Chinqua-Penn Plantation, on which the center is located, had been given to the university by the Penn family in 1959.
Extension programs, including 4-H and Home Economics, began to integrate.
North Carolina Organization of Home Demonstration Clubs and State Council of Negro Home Demonstration Clubs of North Carolina merged to become North Carolina Extension Homemakers Association.
Known as EFNEP, this program was established to help underprivileged North Carolina citizens better their nutritional standards and to educate them about available food assistance programs.
Extension Forest Management changed to Extension Forest Resources, but the name changed again at a later date to Extension Forestry.
This organization has existed as a coalition of the NC Association of County Agricultural Agents; the NC Association of Extension 4-H Agents; the NC Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences; the NC Association of Extension Specialist; the NC Cooperative Extension Secretaries Association; and the NC Association of Extension Program Assistants, Associates and Technicians.
T. Carlton Blalock served as Director of the Extension Service until 1981.
Chester "Chet" Black served as Director of Extension until 1990.
The Harrill Suite was named for L.R. Harrill, the former director of the state 4-H organization. He was known as "Mr. 4-H."
Robert Wells was Director of the Extension Service until 1994.
North Carolina Agricultural Extension Service changed its name to the North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service.
The Home Economics name changed to Family and Consumer Sciences.
North Carolina Extension Homemakers Association became North Carolina Extension and Community Association (NCECA).
Jon Ort served as Director of Extension until 2010.
The 4-H program and the Department of Family and Consumer Sciences were combined into one unit.
Joseph Zublena served as Director of Extension until 2015.
To commemorate more than 100 years of 4-H in North Carolina, an exhibit on the history of the organization was displayed in the D.H. Hill Library.
Wilma Hammett, Jan Christensen, Joan Gosper Ordinary Women, Extraordinary Service: To Family, Community, and North Carolina, a history of the family and consumer science program in North Carolina. A print edition exists in the library.
The Department of 4-H Youth Development and Family & Consumer Sciences changed its name to the Department of Youth, Family, and Community Sciences.
A. Rich Bonanno became Director of Extension in 2016.
The Department of Agricultural and Extension Education merged with the Department of Youth, Family and Community Sciences to become the Department of Agricultural and Human Sciences