Department of Architecture
Architectural engineering curriculum established
A bachelor's degree in Architectural Engineering is first offered through the School of Engineering
- 1927 Department of Architectural Engineering established
Department of Architecture and Architectural Engineering
The Department of Architectural Engineering is renamed the Department of Architecture and Architectural Engineering.
First Architectural Engineering female graudate
Margery Belle Garriss becomes the first woman to graduate in Architectural Engineering.
Female faculty increases
Twenty-two women are listed on the faculty, most at the instructor or laboratory technician level. Departments with more than one female member include English (six), Statistics (three), Textiles (three), and Modern Languages (two). Women are also on the faculty in Architecture, Agricultural Economics, Mathematics, Physics, Social Studies, Chemistry, Engineering, Research, and Agronomy.
Eduardo Catalano Joined Faculty
Eduardo Catalano (1917-2010) of Argentina came to NC State as the head of the Department of Architecture in the College of Design. On the faculty here until 1956, Catalano later taught at MIT, retiring in 1995, His design achievements included construction of his own house in Raleigh (named House of the Decade by "House and Home" magazine in 1955), the U.S. Embassy in Buenos Aires, and the Juilliard School of Music in New York City. In 2007 NC State ... More
- Fall 1968 Masters degree in Architecture first offered.
- Fall 1968 Masters degree in Urban and Regional Design first offered
Curt Fentress graduates
Curt Fentress graduated with a Bachelor of Architecture. His firm has designed such buildings as the Denver International Airport passenger terminal, Incheon International Airport in South Korea, Arraya Tower in Kuwait City, National Museum of the Marine Corps, and Terminal 2 at Raleigh-Durham International Airport. He became a Fellow of the American Institute of Architects.
Philip Freelon graduates
Philip Freelon graduated with a Bachelor of Environmental Design in Architecture degree. Signature buildings his firm has designed include the Harvey B. Gantt Center for African-American Arts + Culture in Charlotte, the International Civil Rights Center & Museum in Greensboro, the Reginald F. Lewis Museum of Maryland African American History & Culture in Baltimore, and the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture on the National ... More
- 2000 Department of Architecture renamed the School of Architecture