Department of Chemistry

Department of Chemistry
Please note that some historical materials may contain harmful content and/or descriptions. Learn how we’re addressing it.

1880s

1889 Department of Chemistry established
10/1889 First chemistry courses offered

Chemistry courses were offered when the College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts opened.

1890s

1890-1924 W. A. Withers served as head of the Department of Chemistry
W. A. WithersW. A. Withers
1894 First master's degree conferred

The first master's degree was conferred. Frank Theophilus Meacham was awarded a master's degree in chemistry.

1910s

1911 Department of Chemistry moved

The Department of Chemistry moved from Holladay Hall to Winston Hall.

Winston Hall, North Carolina State CollegeWinston Hall, North Carolina State College

1920s

1924-1925 Leon Franklin Williams served as head of the Department of Chemistry
Alumni News, Vol. 7 No. 8, August 1924Alumni News, Vol. 7 No. 8, August 1924
6/7/1927 First degrees conferred to women

The first degrees were conferred to women at NC State. The recipients were Jane McKimmon, BS in business administration; Charlotte Nelson, BS in education; and Mary Elizabeth Yarbrough, MS in chemistry. Yarbrough was the first woman to graduate who completed all coursework while at NC State, and she was the first woman to earn a master's degree at NC State.

Mary Yarborough portrait photo, 1953Mary Yarborough portrait photo, 1953
1928-1948 Arthur J. Wilson served as head of the Department of Chemistry

1930s

1937 Department of Chemistry placed in School of Agriculture

The Department of Chemistry was placed with the administration of the School of Agriculture.

1937 Department of Chemistry renamed

Department of Chemistry was renamed the Department of Agriculture and Biological Chemistry.

Fall 1938 Chemistry research conducted

Woman chemist J. C. Richmond of State College was awarded a grant to study the Vitamin C content in goat's milk and the presence of nicotinic acid in cow's milk.

Technician, Vol. 19 No. 3, September 30, 1938Technician, Vol. 19 No. 3, September 30, 1938

1940s

1940 Department of Agriculture and Biological Chemistry relocated

The Department of Agriculture and Biological Chemistry relocated from Winston Hall to Withers Hall.

1948-1958 Walter J. Peterson served as head of the Department of Chemistry
Walter J. Peterson portraitWalter J. Peterson portrait
1949 Women faculty increased

Twenty-two women were listed on the faculty, most at the instructor or laboratory technician level. Departments with more than one woman employee included English (six), statistics (three), textiles (three), and modern languages (two). Women were also on the faculty in architecture, agricultural economics, mathematics, physics, social studies, chemistry, engineering, research, and agronomy.

1960s

1960 Department of Agriculture and Biological Chemistry renamed

The Department of Agriculture and Biological Chemistry was renamed the Department of Chemistry.

1960 Department of Chemistry relocated

The Department of Chemistry was transferred from the School of Agriculture to the School of Physical Science and Applied Mathematics.

7/1/1960 School of Physical Science and Applied Mathematics established
1961-1967 Ralph C. Swann served as head of the Department of Chemistry
9/18/1963 Protective eyewear required in chemistry labs

All chemistry lab students were required to wear protective eyewear, as voted on by the chemistry department, regardless of whether that student wore glasses.

1967-1973 Z. Zimmerman Hugus served as head of the Department of Chemistry
1969 Department of Chemistry moved

The Department of Chemistry moved from Withers Hall to Dabney Hall.

Cox HallCox Hall
9/1969 Dabney Hall opened

Dabney Hall was built to house the Department of Chemistry and was named for Charles William Dabney, a charter member of the Watauga Club and a professor of chemistry.

Dabney Hall, front viewDabney Hall, front view

1970s

3/3/1972 Swann Memorial Library dedicated

The Swann Memorial Library of Chemistry was named for Dr. Ralph C. Swann, former head of chemistry, and was located in Dabney Hall.

1973-1982 Carl L. Bumgardner served as head of the Department of Chemistry

1980s

1983-1992 Kenneth W. Hanck served as head of the Department of Chemistry
5/2/1986 "Strolling Professor" statue dedicated

The "Strolling Professor," a bronze statue in Gardner Arboretum that depicts chemistry professor William R. Johnson, was dedicated.

Statue "The Strolling Professor," William R. Johnston, sculpted by J. Seward JohnsonStatue "The Strolling Professor," William R. Johnston, sculpted by J. Seward Johnson
1988 Chemistry professor Jerry Whitten became PAMS's third dean
Dean Whitten (PAMS)Dean Whitten (PAMS)

1990s

1992-1994 Janet Osteryoung served as head of the Department of Chemistry
1994-1998 Robert Osteryoung served as head of the Department of Chemistry
Bruce M. Novak served as head of the Department of Chemistry

2000s

2004 Fox Science Teaching Laboratory opened

The Fox Science Teaching Laboratory opened as a new undergraduate chemistry lab facility for students.

Marye Anne Fox Science Teaching LaboratoryMarye Anne Fox Science Teaching Laboratory
2005-2011 Morteza Khaledi served as head of the Department of Chemistry

2010s

2011-2015 Chris Gorman served as head of the Department of Chemistry
2015-2021 Edmond F. Bowden served as head of the Department of Chemistry

2020s

2021 Gavin Williams became head of the Department of Chemistry