Department of English

Department of English

1880s

  • 1889 Department of English established
  • 10/1889 First English courses

    Courses in English are offered when the College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts opens

1900s

  • 1908 Library Committee

    President D. H. Hill appointed English professors Thomas P. Harrison and George Summey as co-chairs of the Library Committee. Harrison and Summey departed from Hill’s solitary approach to book selection, instead asking faculty to recommend titles for the collection.

1940s

  • 1942 Female faculty increases

    Three women join the faculty at NC State. Ruth Couch Allen and Louise K. Cell become instructors in English, and Ruth Badger Hall becomes an instructor in Modern Languages.

  • DefaultMrs. Ruth B. Hall portrait
  • 1949 Female faculty increases

    Twenty-two women are listed on the faculty, most at the instructor or laboratory technician level. Departments with more than one female member include English (six), Statistics (three), Textiles (three), and Modern Languages (two). Women are also on the faculty in Architecture, Agricultural Economics, Mathematics, Physics, Social Studies, Chemistry, Engineering, Research, and Agronomy.

1960s

  • 9/13/1967 Premier of 'The Flim Flam Man'

    Raleigh's Cardinal Theater is the site of the Southern premier of 'The Flim Flam Man,' a new film based on a novel by NC State English professor Guy Owen. The film stars George C. Scott. Both the Technician and Dr. Owen express some degree of disappointment at how the film turned out.

  • DefaultProfessor Guy Owen lecturing in classroom

1980s

  • 1984 Lee Smith received North Carolina Award

    Assistant Professor of English Lee Smith became the first female faculty member to receive the prestigious North Carolina Award.

  • 1984 First female faculty recipient of North Carolina Award

    Lee Smith, Assistant Professor of English, becomes the first female faculty member to receive a North Carolina Award, receiving an award in literature.