Department of Landscape Architecture

Department of Landscape Architecture

1920s

1927 First Landscape Architecture courses

Curriculum in landscape architecture established as a component of courses in the Department of Horticulture.

1930s

1932 First female to receive a degree in Landscape Architecture

Elizabeth Lee Lawrence becomes the first woman to earn a B.S. degree in Landscape Architecture.

1940s

1942 Division of Landscape Architecture established

Division of Landscape Architecture established within the Department of Horticulture.

1950s

3/21/1951 Department of Landscape Architecture accredited

The Department of Landscape Architecture receives accreditation from the American Society of Landscape Architects, becoming the second to do so in the South, and one of only ten accredited schools in the U.S.

1960s

1968 Masters degree in Landscape Architecture first offered

1980s

August 1987 First Latinx Faculty Member in Landscape Architecture

Fernando Magallanes becomes the first Latinx faculty member in Landscape Architecture