Department of Mathematics
First Mathematics courses
Courses in mathematics offered when the College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts opens
Department of Civil Engineering and Mathematics established
Mechanics Course curricula divided; result was the creation of the Department of Civil Engineering and Mathematics
Female faculty increases
Twenty-two women are listed on the faculty, most at the instructor or laboratory technician level. Departments with more than one female member include English (six), Statistics (three), Textiles (three), and Modern Languages (two). Women are also on the faculty in Architecture, Agricultural Economics, Mathematics, Physics, Social Studies, Chemistry, Engineering, Research, and Agronomy.
Report on Computing Center
Paul E. Lewis and John W. Cell of the Department of Mathematics write a report recommending the reconstitution of the Computing Center into the Department of Computer Science within the School of Physical Sciences and Applied Mathematics.
John W. Cell Library dedicated
The Cell Library was founded as a departmental library for mathematics and named for John W. Cell, head of the Department of Mathematics.
NC State hires Dr. Lawrence M. Clark
NC State hired Dr. Lawrence M. Clark (1934-2012) as Associate Provost. Dr. Clark was the second African American to serve as a university administrator. In addition to serving as a professor of mathematics education, Dr. Clark coordinated all activities related to the universitys Affirmative Action Plan. Dr. Clark was instrumental in the founding of NC States African American Cultural Center, the Peer Mentor program, and the African American Symposium.
Department of Mathematics History
Nicholas J. Rose wrote the History of the Mathematics Department at North Carolina State University. A version of this publication exists on the departmental website.
SAS Hall dedicated
SAS Hall is dedicated as the new home of the Departments of Mathematics and Statistics. The 119,000 square-foot building houses state-of-the-art classrooms, computer labs, tutorial centers and meeting and study space for students and faculty.