Prestage Department of Poultry Science

Prestage Department of Poultry Science

1880s

1881 Poultry research begins at the North Carolina Agricultural Experiment Station

1890s

1895 Poultry Division added

Poultry Division added to the North Carolina Agricultural Experiment Station

1897 North Carolina Agricultural Experiment Station moves to the A&M campus

1900s

1900 First poultry courses

1910s

1912 Poultry curriculum established

Poultry classes became part of the curriculum in the Department of Animal Industry.

1920s

1923 Poultry Department established

Poultry Department becomes one of six original departments in the School of Agriculture.

1/10/1926 Poultry Judging Team competition

The State College Poultry Judging Team competes for the tenth consecutive year at the National Inter-Collegiate Poultry Judging Contest at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

1940s

1940 Food Science curriculum established

Work done in food science is scattered throughout several departments, namely Animal Industry, Horticulture, and Poultry Science.

1950s

12/8/1952 Scott Hall opens

State College celebrates the opening of Scott Hall, the new poultry science building, named for Robert Walter Scott. Construction of Scott Hall cost the college $380,110.97.

Scott Hall, North Carolina State CollegeScott Hall, North Carolina State College

1960s

1962 Department of Poultry Science

The Poultry Department is renamed the Department of Poultry Science.

1990s

1992 Scott Hall Renovated
Entrance to Scott HallEntrance to Scott Hall

2010s

2012 Poultry Science department renamed

The department becomes the Prestage Department of Poultry Science after receiving a $10 million gift to honor Bill and Marsha Prestage, owners of the Prestage Farms poultry and pork production company.

2012 Dept. of Poultry Science History

Gerald B. Havenstein.wrote the History of the Department of Poultry Science and Other Poultry Related Programs at North Carolina State University, 1881-2010. A print edition exists in the library.