George Franks Ivey taught the first courses in textiles in the fall of 1899. Courses specialized in cotton manufacturing and milling, designing twills, and mill engineering, and were taught in Holladay Hall.
A degree program in textile chemistry and dyeing was established. The Department of Textile Chemistry later grew from this.
Henry "Hank" Rutherford became head of the Department of Textile Chemistry, and he served in that position until 1974. While at NC State he pioneered research in radiation chemistry of fibrous polymers. In his research he examined the durability of fibers exposed to radiation, which had applications in dyeing and finishing of textiles.
The Department of Yarn Manufacturing, the Department of Knitting, and the Department of Fabric Development merge to form the Department of Textile Technology.
Solomon "Sol" Hersh joined the faculty of the Department of Textile Technology. Previously he had received his B.S. from NC State in 1949. In 1995 he became the first faculty member from the College of Textiles to receive the Alexander Holladay Medal for Excellence.
Joel L. Williams was awarded a Doctor of Philosophy in Fiber and Polymer Science. This was the first Ph.D. awarded in the NC State's College of Textiles.
The Department of Textile Technology is renamed the Department of Textile Materials and Management.
The department was formed when the Department of Textile Materials and Management was split.
The Department of Textile Chemistry and the Department of Textile Engineering and Science merged to form the Department of Textile Engineering, Chemistry and Science.