Department of Forest Biomaterials

Department of Forest Biomaterials
Please note that some historical materials may contain harmful content and/or descriptions. Learn how we’re addressing it.

1940s

1949 Department of Wood Science and Technology established

1950s

1950 Master's and PhD degrees in Wood Science and Technology created
1957 New lab buildings opened

Hodges Wood Working Laboratory and the Robertson Laboratory of Pulp and Paper Technology buildings opened.

R. B. Robertson Pulp and Paper LabsR. B. Robertson Pulp and Paper Labs

1960s

5/25/1960 Hodges Wood Products Laboratory named

The Hodges Wood Products Laboratory was named for Brandon Patton Hodges, a former state senator, state treasurer, and advisor to the Champion Paper and Fiber Company based in Canton, NC.

Hodges Wood Products LaboratoryHodges Wood Products Laboratory
1968 Department of Wood Science and Technology renamed

The Department of Wood Science and Technology was renamed the Department of Wood and Paper Science.

1970s

1970 Department of Wood and Paper Science moved

The Department of Wood and Paper Science moved to Biltmore Hall.

Biltmore Hall, North Carolina State UniversityBiltmore Hall, North Carolina State University

1990s

1998 Chavonda Jacobs-Young awarded a PhD

Chavonda Jacobs-Young was awarded a PhD. She had previously earned a bachelor's degree in 1989 and master's degree in 1992. She was the first African American woman in the United States to earn a PhD in paper science. She later became associate administrator for national programs for the USDA's Agricultural Research Service.

2010s

3/2010 Department of Wood and Paper Science renamed

The Department of Wood and Paper Science was renamed the Department of Forest Biomaterials.