The Morrill Act becomes law, providing national funding to establish a land-grant college in each state. In North Carolina, this funding first went to the University of North Carolina, but in 1887, the state legislature established the North Carolina College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts (now NC State) as the state's land-grant institution.
Leonidas Polk calls for the establishment of an agricultural school during a speech made at the NC State Fair.
An original land scrip endowment to the University of North Carolina as part of the Morrill Act (lost during the Reconstruction period) is restored. On paper, this creates a College of Agriculture and a College of Engineering and Mechanic Arts at the University of North Carolina.
The Watauga Club met for the first time. The club was formed by progressive-minded young men who were investigating way to strengthen all aspects of North Carolina, including creation of an industrial school.
Colleges to provide agricultural education still have not been created at the University of North Carolina (an obligation upon receiving land-grant funding), and exist only in theory in the university's course catalogs.
The Watauga Club successfully lobbies the North Carolina state legislature, with the sponsorship of Leazar Dixon, to pass a bill for an industrial school separate from the University of North Carolina's land scrip. The legislation doesn't mandate the school, however, and doesn't provide sufficient funding.
Leonidas Polk continues to call for an agricultural school in the first published issue of the Progressive Farmer.
The North Carolina Board of Agriculture accepts a bid to locate an industrial school in Raleigh.
Farmers' organizations in the state of North Carolina, along with the Watauga Club and Colonel Leonidas Polk, successfully lobby the North Carolina state legislature to add an agriculture school to the proposed industrial school in Raleigh. This new school would not be affiliated with the University of North Carolina, and would thus be able to acquire and use the land scrip funds being received (but not used by) the University of North Carolina.
University of North Carolina President Battle unsuccessfully opposes the transfer of the land scrip funds from UNC to the proposed agricultural school in Raleigh; a bill is passed on this date to transfer the funds.
Under the Hatch Act, the federal government provided $15,000 to each state for agricultural experiment stations.
The North Carolina College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts is established using a combination of the scrip funds reallocated from the University of North Carolina and funds from the Hatch Act of 1886, which had established the North Carolina Agricultural Experiment Station.
Charles Dabney pens the legislation to create the North Carolina College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts. March 7 is still celebrated annually as Founders Day.
The cornerstone was laid for the first building on campus, originally called Main Building but later named Holladay Hall.
This building would later be renamed Holladay Hall, in recognition of the first President of the university, Alexander Holladay. The building was constructed of 1.5 million "penitentiary bricks" made at the State Prison in Raleigh.
Daniel Harvey Hill, Jr., the library namesake, began his career at North Carolina Agricultural and Mechanical College (now NCSU) upon its opening in 1889. He engaged in the common nineteenth-century practice of serving as both a professor (of English) and the college librarian, the institution’s first. This responsibility was not a major burden, as the early library occupied only a reading room in the Main Building (later Holladay Hall). For the first ten years of ... More
The Board of Trustees chose Alexander Q. Holladay as the first President of the North Carolina College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts. The offer surprised Holladay, because he had applied to be only a professor of English, but he accepted the presidency position anyway. He served in the position until 1899. (Biography of Alexander Holladay)
The first classes are held at the North Carolina College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts (the original name of NC State University). Fifty-two students, at the minimum age of 14, attend. Tuition was $20 a session. Students could select from two basic curricula: agriculture and mechanics.
The Agricultural Experiment Station is transferred from the North Carolina Department of Agriculture to the North Carolina College of Agricultural and Mechanic Arts.
The Second Morrill Act becomes law, requiring states to provide technical education for African Americans. No federal money would be disbursed to any college that made distinctions between students on the basis of race. States could comply, however, by providing separate colleges for blacks and whites.
Sue Carroll began employment at the North Carolina College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts. She filled the position of matron, supervising the Cadet Hospital (an early version of the student health center) and the dormitories until her death in 1901.
In order to comply with the Second Morrill Act and yet prevent admission of African Americans to the North Carolina College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts, the North Carolina state government creates the North Carolina Agricultural and Technical College in Greensboro.
The first official football game was played against Raleigh Academy, a local prep school. "A&M," which is what NC State was called at the time, won 12-6.
Cuban Jose Fabio Santo Trigo becomes the first foreign student to enroll at A&M College.
Nineteen students receive degrees during the first commencement ceremony held at A&M College.
First official baseball game is played, with Guilford College as the opponent.
A chapter of Sigma Nu was created, making it the first fraternity established at NC State.
A majority of students chose red and white as colors for the sports teams. The colors changed a couple different times during the early years of the college. The faculty agreed to the adoption of red and white and stated that they could not be changed again without a vote of two-thirds of the student body. The colors have remained the same ever since.
Teisaku Sugishita (of Tokyo, Japan) graduates with a degree in Civil Engineering, becoming the first Asian student to receive a degree from NC State. The 1899 alumni directory lists Sugishita as working for the Imperial Railway of Japan; he is last listed in the 1904 alumni directory; subsequent directories list him as "not heard from"; and assume his participation in (and possible death during) the Russo-Japan War of 1904-1905.
The first track team is organized for intercollegiate competition but is disbanded after the season. Track does not reappear at A&M until 1905.
Winston served in the position until retirement in 1908. (Biography of George Tayloe Winston)
E. B. Owen (Class of 1898), was hired in 1899, along with University of Texas librarian Benjamin Wyche, to implement the Dewey system of book classification, construct a card catalog, and institute a card loan system. He served in this capacity until 1902. He held a variety of other positions at the college, including teacher of college preparatory classes (1898-1901), English professor (1904-1907), proctor, registrar (1907-1928), and the first alumni secretary / ... More
George Franks Ivey taught the first courses in textiles in the fall of 1899. Courses specialized in cotton manufacturing and milling, designing twills, and mill engineering, and were taught in Holladay Hall.
The Board of Trustees votes to open A&M College to women.
The Board of Trustees amend their decision from earlier in the year to admit women to A&M, deciding women will be classified as special students, except in textiles courses, where they can be enrolled as regular students.
Margaret Burke becomes the first female student to take a course at A&M (she enrolled in a physics course).
The Biological Division is created, with coursework devoted entirely to plant pathology.
Eula Louisa Dixon takes a course in dairying, becoming the second female student at A&M.
The first Easter Monday baseball game was played, a tradition that would last until 1947. That first game was against Wake Forest.
Adeline Stevens, the wife of Frank Lincoln Stevens, becomes the first female faculty member, as an instructor in biology during the 1902-1903 academic year.
The library holdings move from Holladay Hall to the first floor of the old Pullen Hall.
Women's enrollment continued to increase during the 1903-1904 academic year. Evelyn Byrd Lawrence of Raleigh took a course in architecture, Ivey Roberts of Raleigh took a course in drawing, and Frances Claire Stainback took courses in chemistry and English. This was also the first year that women were listed as summer school students, and more than 200 women attended.
During Sherman’s tenure as librarian (1903-1906), library holdings moved from the third floor of Main Building (later Holladay Hall) to the first floor of old Pullen Hall. With input from D. H. Hill, she tried to make the library comfortable for extra-curricular reading and subscribed to popular periodicals and newspapers from all North Carolina counties in order to encourage greater library patronage.
The first on-campus football game is played at the new athletic field that would later become Riddick Stadium. The game ends for A & M College with a 20-0 victory over Randolph-Macon College, securing the Southern Intercollegiate Association championship for A & M, with six wins and one tie.
The A & M College baseball team claim their first state championship, with a 14-7 record.
Having already served as a professor of English and librarian at the college, Hill was chosen by the Board of Trustees to succeed President George Tayloe Winston. He served until retirement in 1916. (Biography of D. H. Hill, Jr.)
College officials signed the first memorandum of understanding for cooperative demonstration work with the United States Department of Agriculture. The memorandum provided for the establishment of the Farmers' Boys' Clubs or Corn Clubs. These clubs are the forerunners of the 4-H program.
Winston Hall opens, housing civil, chemical, and electrical engineering courses. It was named for second college president George Tayloe Winston.
The North Carolina Agricultural Experiment Station (located at A&M College) hired Neil Alexander Bailey as its first African American agricultural extension agent.
The A&M College basketball team play their first official game at Wake Forest, losing 33-6. The team eventually became known at the Red Terrors, until 1947, when all NC State sports teams adopted the name Wolfpack.
Jane S. McKimmon became the first woman to serve as a state home demonstration agent through the Agricultural Extension program at A&M College.
Franklin Delano Roosevelt, then assistant Secretary of the Navy, spoke at commencement exercises. He implored young men to "stay East" because the western expansion of the nation meant abandoned farms in the east.
The Smith-Lever Act provided for federal, state, and county cooperation in creating a system to expand demonstration and extension work for men and women. The law authorized land-grant colleges to sign memoranda of understanding with the United States Department of Agriculture to begin such work. NC State then created a new Department of Extension, which became the Agricultural Extension Service.
Fire destroys the Textile Building (now Tompkins Hall) and all the equipment inside. The Textile Building was rebuilt the following year, with the local textile industry contributing new equipment.
Freshman are required to wear a red cap with a white "F" while on campus to distinguish their status as underclassmen.
The total number of degrees awarded by A&M College reaches 1,000.
Wallace Carl Riddick became college president, having previously served as vice president and professor of civil engineering. He was president until 1923, when he became engineering dean. (Biography of Wallace Carl Riddick)
The North Carolina College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts was renamed the North Carolina State College of Agriculture and Engineering
The Dean of Agriculture position is created and first held by Charles B. Williams, though the School of Agriculture would not be established until 1923. This is the first position of Dean at NC State. Williams serves as Dean until 1923.
The monogram showing the letter "S" in block style with the letters "N" and "C" nestled within the spaces first appears in the Agromeck.
The North Carolina Agricultural Experiment Station begins pasteurizing milk at the creamery in Patterson Hall. This marks the first pasteurization of milk in North Carolina.
Football player John Ripple becomes the first All-American athlete at State College.
The first issue of the Technician, the student newspaper, is published
The Technician is mailed by the Registrar's office to 100 high schools across North Carolina to inform students about the activities at NC State
The Athletics Council makes a decision to award sweaters to athletes who receive monograms ("letters") for their athletic accomplishments; the first letter sweaters appear on campus shortly thereafter.
Enrollment at State College reaches 1,000 for an academic year for the first time.
Lucille Thomson of Wilmington becomes the first woman to enroll as a full-time student, majoring in electrical engineering.
First Student Body President
The nickname "Wolfpack" was first used for the football team. One story has an alumnus writing to the Technician complaining that the football team was "unruly as a pack of wolves."
NC State became a charter member of the Southern Intercollegiate Conference for athletics. This organization later changed its name to the Southern Conference.
The cornerstone is laid for the Memorial Bell Tower, a monument to honor State College alumni who had been killed during World War I.
The Student Council requires all first-year students to wear the caps on campus, citing a need to boost school spirit and reduce hazing. The Court of Customs, a branch of Student Council, can punish students who don't comply. Freshmen start a tradition by burning their caps just before their spring final exams.
Entomology professor Zeno P. Metcalf debates Bible Conference leader William B. Riley on the topic "Resolved: That Evolution is a Demonstrated Fact" in the old Pullen Hall.
State College is awarded a chapter of the Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society.
The station was established as "the research agency in engineering" to support extension work for the School of Engineering. The station was intended to address engineering issues of local state and regional concern. H.B. Shaw became its first director.
In 1923, NC State hired George Zook of the United States Bureau of Education to survey the college and make recommendations on how it could best be restructured. Zook recommended creation of schools focusing on the following broad disciplines: engineering, agriculture, general science, and social science and business administration. He also reported that the library was inadequate for the needs of the growing institution and suggested that library services be centralized.
The new gymnasium on campus is named after Frank Thompson (Class of 1910), a former athlete at State College who was killed during service in WWI.
He led the college until he retired in 1934. (Biography of E. C. Brooks)
Contract for construction of a new library building (now Brooks Hall) is awarded to Joe W. Stout & Company, at a cost of $227,500.
Southern Bell Telephone and Telegraph Company installs the first telephone exchange at State College.
The Board of Trustees removed the Textile Department from the School of Engineering and created a separate School of Textiles. Becoming a separate school enabled Textiles to have its own dean and to compete on an equal basis with the other schools within the college for money, faculty positions, equipment, and space. Thomas Nelson became the first dean, serving until 1943.
Class of 1923 alumni Alvin M. Fountain and Bonnie Frank Norris composed the Alma Mater song.
The original D.H. Hill Library (in what later became Brooks Hall) was designed by Hobart Brown Upjohn and named for Daniel Harvey Hill, Jr., the first faculty member to oversee the library.
The first Ph.D. is conferred; Jesse Mowry receives the degree in the field of Rural Sociology.
The original D.H. Hill Library is dedicated (this building later became Brooks Hall). The contents of the library had been moved into the building the previous autumn, marking the first time there was an entire building designated as the library.
The Athletics Committee decides students must maintain a passing grade in 60% of their classes to play in collegiate athletic events.
The first degrees are conferred to women at NC State. Recipients are Jane McKimmon, B.S. in business administration; Charlotte Nelson, B.S. in education; and Mary Elizabeth Yarbrough, M.S. in chemistry. Yarbrough was the first female graduate to have completed all coursework while at NC State, and she went on to become the first woman to earn a master's degree at NC State.
Lillian P. Wallace becomes the first woman to earn a masters degree in Education. She went on to publish several historical works on politics in Europe. Virginia F. Harris becomes the first woman to earn a masters degree in Rural Sociology.
Twenty-one female students enroll at State College for the 1928-29 academic year, twice as many as the previous year.
With a 13-6 season record, the basketball team claim their first Southern Conference championship.
Raleigh-area radio station WPTF begins broadcasting State College baseball games.
Ada Curtis Spencer becomes the first female to enroll as a freshman and complete a four-year degree from NC State. She majored in social science.
The first telephones are installed in the dormitories. Previously, telephones were only available for student use in the YMCA building.
The Consolidation Act is passed by the North Carolina General Assembly, with the following provisions: 1. State College becomes one of three campuses of the Consolidated University of North Carolina. The other campuses are UNC-Chapel Hill and the Women's College in Greensboro (which later became UNC-Greensboro). 2. State College's name is changed to the North Carolina State College of Agriculture and Engineering of the University of North Carolina 3. The ... More
The title for the chief executive officer at NC State changed from "president" to "dean of administration." This occurred after NC State, UNC-Chapel Hill, and the Women's College (which later became UNC-Greensboro) combined to form the Consolidated University.
The Order of Thirty and Three is founded by members of the sophomore class; there are eleven charter members.
Presidential candidate Franklin Delano Roosevelt makes a campaign stop in Raleigh; State College suspends classes for the day so that students may attend the speech, with the band performing at the event.
State College ties the University of Florida, 0-0, in the first football game held at Riddick Field with its new concrete stands. The field was named for college president Wallace Carl Riddick.
John William Harrelson, class of 1909, was was appointed head of the college. He led NC State until 1953. (Biography of John Harrelson)
The Memorial Bell Tower construction project receives a $37,000 Works Progress Administration grant.
Katharine Stinson, personal friend of Amelia Earhart, is the first woman to enroll in Mechanical Engineering.
As State College celebrates its fiftieth anniversary, materials on the institution's history begin to be collected in the library. This forms the basis of what would later become the University Archives.
State College celebrates its 50th anniversary; President Franklin Roosevelt sends a message of congratulations to the college; the City of Raleigh declares it to be "State College Day"; Dean of Students E. L. Cloyd leads an academic procession to Pullen Hall for the colleges 50th anniversary celebration.
The first annual High School Day brings approximately 6,000 seniors to visit NC State's campus; many stay to attend the State-Duquesne football game, as well.
Fred Waring, prominent national band leader, agrees to write a new fight song for NC State, and to air it during his March 8, 1940 radio program.
Gertrude Cox is hired as Professor of Statistics and head of the Department of Experimental Statistics, becoming the first woman at State College to occupy either rank.
The Architecture Library opened as the first branch library, with Grace Sims Dalton as the first librarian. This was part of Library Director Harlan Brown’s goal to eliminate autonomous departmental libraries in favor of centrally controlled branch libraries (The Architecture Library was renamed the Harrye B. Lyons Design Library in 1968).
Katharine Stinson becomes the first woman to graduate from NC State's School of Engineering. Stinson received a Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering degree, Aeronautical Option. Stinson was taking flying lessons at the old Raleigh Airport on US-401 when Amelia Earhart flew in for a visit in the early 1930s. When Stinson told Earhart that she wanted to become a pilot, Earhart advised her to become an engineer, a career Stinson pursued in spite of obstacles that ... More
Three women join the faculty at NC State. Ruth Couch Allen and Louise K. Cell become instructors in English, and Ruth Badger Hall becomes an instructor in Modern Languages.
The North Carolina State College Foundation is established and becomes the first foundation created for the purpose of attracting private support for the college.
The faculty approves a plan to allow seniors who are taking jobs in essential industries or joining the military to graduate early.
All dorms, the cafeteria, and other non-classroom buildings on campus are given official names for the first time.
Plans are announced for up to 2,000 military trainees to enroll at State College to take specialized defense classes through the United States War Department; the college will operate as two separate units: one for the military and one civilians.
Col. John Harrelson, Dean of Administration, reports for active Army duty; he becomes the 56th faculty member at State College to enter active service and the first head of a major college in the South to be called for permanent active duty.
Enrollment hits the lowest mark in 20 years, due to the number of students leaving to join the military.
The Textiles Library is established, with Rachel Penn Lane as the first librarian. The Textiles Library was originally located in the main library, but relocated to Nelson Hall the following year (1945). The library was renamed the Burlington Textiles Library in 1954, when Burlington Industries funded its expansion.
WNCS, the campus radio station, begins broadcasting three nights a week.
The title of NC State's chief executive officer changed to "chancellor."
Fifty-eight women are enrolled at NC State, many taking advantage of special scholarships to provide engineering training to women so they can work in industry during World War II.
The Minerals Research Laboratory opens in Asheville, North Carolina. The Laboratory was initially created as a collaboration between the Tennessee Valley Authority, who provided equipment and funds, and the Division of Mineral Resources of the North Carolina Department of Conservation and Development, who provided the building. State Geologist and NC State professor Jasper L. Stuckey was involved in securing the initial contract for the Laboratory and served as its founding Director.
L. C. and M. M. Glenn donate $6,000 to State College for the library's purchase of geological publications, many rare and unique. In acquiring the L. C. Glenn Geological Collection, the Friends of the Library organization is formed.
Everett Case is hired as head Men's Basketball coach; with duties beginning on July 1st, 1946. Case coached at NC State until 1965, and remains the winningest basketball coach in the school's history.
More than 75 trailers (forming what was known as the "City of Trailers" or "Trailwood") were constructed so that married WWII veterans and their families could attend NC State on the GI Bill. In 1949, Trailwood was relocated, and Williams Hall was built in its place.
NC State receives its first-ever bid to a football bowl game (the Gator Bowl), where the team will take on the University of Oklahoma.
The basketball team place third in their first appearance in a national tournament, the National Invitational Tournament (NIT).
The influx of World War II veterans, who attended NC State on the GI Bill, caused student enrollment to more than double from pre-war levels.
All NC State athletics teams adopt Wolfpack as the official name. Previously only the football team was called the Wolfpack, and other sports teams were called the Red Terrors.
The NC State football team make their first bowl game appearance, taking on the University of Oklahoma in the Gator Bowl. NC State unfortunately loses the game, 43-13.
In his remarks at the event Eisenhower celebrated North Carolina history and agriculture and suggested that the United States could be a global leader in the aftermath of World War II.
The Raleigh city building inspector condemns Thompson Gymnasium just hours before a Mens Basketball game against Duke. Only a few reporters and college officials are allowed to attend the next home game, against High Point College. From then until the completion of Reynolds Coliseum in 1949, home games are played in Raleighs Memorial Auditorium.
Bill Despres captures first place in the National Junior 300 yd. Individual Medley Championship of America, becoming the first swimmer from NC State to capture a national championship. Depres' winning time was 3:41:08, just 4.7 seconds slower than the national record.
The School of Design is established, with the Division of Architecture and Landscape Design incorporated into the curriculum. Henry Kamphoefner from the University of Oklahoma becomes the first dean of the school (he serves in the position until 1973).
More than 1,000 students graduate from State College for the first time.
A banquet ends the First Annual Greek Week, sponsored by the Inter-Fraternity Council.
The Memorial Bell Tower is dedicated, with former Governor R. Gregg Cherry present at the ceremony.
The inaugural Dixie Classic tournament is held. Initiated by Coach Everett N. Case so that the Mens Basketball team wouldnt have to play out of town during the winter holidays, the Dixie Classic continued every year into the 1960s.
Reynolds Coliseum opens, with the NC State Men's Basketball team beating Washington and Lee, 67-47. Not all of the seats had been installed yet, so some fans had to sit on the cement tiers.
The Division of Biological Sciences is established; the Department of Zoology and Entomology is placed within.
Division of Forestry becomes the School of Forestry.
Harold Lampe, Dean of the School of Engineering, approves the building of a nuclear reactor on campus and the establishment of a collegiate nuclear engineering program, both firsts in the nation.
In a ceremony at NC State, Gordon Gray is inaugurated as the second president of the UNC System; the new president vows to not tolerate Communism among faculty members.
A State College football game is televised for the first time; the team takes on the University of Maryland in the contest.
The track team win their first Southern Conference championship (and repeat the following year, in 1952). They would also go on to win titles in the Atlantic Coast Conference in 1953 and 1954.
The Consolidated University of North Carolina decides that African American students are eligible for admission into graduate programs.
The Department of Landscape Architecture receives accreditation from the American Society of Landscape Architects, becoming the second to do so in the South, and one of only ten accredited schools in the U.S.
Over 200 citizens gather for a ceremony at the newly-opened Riddick Laboratory. The lab building, constructed for $1,300,000, is dedicated to Dr. Wallace Carl Riddick, NC State's first Dean of Engineering, and the university's fourth president.
Swimmer Bob Mattson wins the first of four consecutive All-American honors; in 1955 he also becomes State's first NCAA champion, winning the 200-yard breaststroke.
The non-degree-granting School of General Studies is established (now the degree-granting College of Humanities and Social Sciences). It replaces the Basic Division.
Scott later became the 67th Governor of North Carolina, 1969-1973.
State College celebrates the opening of Scott Hall, the new poultry science building, named for Robert Walter Scott. Construction of Scott Hall cost the college $380,110.97.
State College admits two African-American graduate students into the School of Engineering: Robert Clemons and Hardy Liston. Clemons became the college's first black graduate; Liston later withdrew and didn't complete his degree.
NC State athletics teams withdraw from the Southern Conference and join the newly formed Atlantic Coast Conference.
The Board of Trustees agrees to transition the academic calendar from a quarter system to a semester system, by a vote of 46-28. NC State will switch over in the fall semester of 1953.
Dr. Carey Hoyt Bostian became the seventh person to lead NC State. He had served on the NC State faculty since 1930. In 1959 he stepped down as chancellor to return to teaching. (Biography of Carey Bostian)
The R-1 reactor was the first non-government-run nuclear reactor in the world and the first designed, built, and operated by an academic institution. Design and construction had begun in 1950. It was the first of four reactors operated at NC State. More information on the nuclear reactor program can be found on the departmental website.
The new building housing the School of Forestry and the Department of Horticulture was formally dedicated as Kilgore Hall, named in honor of the late Dr. Benjamin Wesley Kilgore, former Dean of Agriculture, Director of the Agricultural Experiment Station, and the first head of North Carolina's Agricultural Extension Service.
Hervasio Carvalho of Brazil, a graduate student in the School of Engineering at NC State, becomes the first person in the world to complete a Ph.D. in Nuclear Engineering.
The Peru Project is established, a cooperative effort between NC State, the Foreign Operations Administration (U.S. Agency for International Development), and the government of Peru to develop programs in agricultural and textile research, extension, and education.
In 1950, the TVA announced that due to budget restrictions it would be required to discontinue support of the Minerals Research Laboratory. The TVA agreed to give the State of North Carolina the equipment in the laboratory “if the State would continue to operate the Laboratory for the benefit of the mineral producers in the area.” Governor William B. Umstead determined that the Minerals Research Laboratory should become “a function of State College,” and in 1954, ... More
The Men's Basketball team wins the Atlantic Coast Conference championship for the inaugural year of competition in the newly-formed conference.
In Frazier v. the Board of Trustees of the University of North Carolina, the court determines that undergraduate colleges and universities should be open to African Americans.
The Industrial Extension Service, the first of its kind in the United States, was established in 1955 to help North Carolina industries grow and prosper.
The new D. H. Hill Library (the east wing of the current building) was formally dedicated.
Former Chancellor John Harrelson dies; a graduate of NC State, Harrelson served in various positions at the college for 46 years, including 19 years as Chancellor.
Patricia Anne Sarvella become the first woman to receive a Ph.D. degree at State College (from the Department of Genetics).
Robert Clemons received a professional degree in Electrical Engineering (PREE), becoming the first African-American to graduate from NC State.
The Technician begins printing multiple issues each week for the first time.
The 1957 president-elect for Student Government failed to meet academic requirements to return to campus and take office, thus vice-president elect, Jim Hunt, became Student Body President for the year. Hunt would serve as president again the following year. He later became governor of North Carolina.
A newly-established scholarship and student award will honor the first student enrolled at State, W.J. Matthews, and be henceforth known as the Matthews Medal.
The State College football team defeats the University of South Carolina to win their first Atlantic Coast Conference title.
The Research Triangle Institute at Research Triangle Park is established by NC State, Duke University, and UNC-Chapel Hill.
The first African-American female academic staff member, Mrs. Justina Williams, is hired to work in the Department of Genetics' Drosophila research lab. Many African-Americans had worked at State prior to Williams's appointment, however they primarily worked in custodial or food service positions.
The campus radio station changes its call letters from WVWP to WKNC.
African-American student Irwin Holmes joins the tennis team, making it the first integrated athletic team at State College.
John Tyler Caldwell was named Chancellor. He served until retiring in 1975. (Biography of John Caldwell)
Gamma Phi chapter of the Sigma Kappa sorority was established. This was the first active chapter of a national sorority at NC State. They held their first pledge dance at the Carolina Hotel on 14 March 1960.
The Agricultural Policy Institute is established, and is one of only two such organizations in the United States.
Irwin Holmes earned a B.S. in Electrical Engineering, making him the first African-American undergraduate to receive a degree at NC State. Further documentation of Irwin Holmes's life exists at DigitalNC.
Democratic presidential candidate John F. Kennedy appears in Reynolds Coliseum before a crowd estimated at 8,000 persons. Kennedy sharply criticizes Vice President Nixon in his dealings with Khrushchev.
Vivian Henderson becomes the first African-American faculty member, taking a position as a visiting professor in the Department of Economics. Henderson was a friend of Martin Luther King, Jr., and he later became president of the historically black Clark College in Atlanta.
Adlai Stevenson, U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations, delivers the first annual Harrelson Lecture at Reynolds Coliseum.
The School of Engineering installs the first half of an analog computer system on campus - a PACE computer, manufactured by Electronics Associates.
Governor Sanford gets booed after an NC State-Wake Forest basketball game in Reynolds Coliseum by students protesting the possible name change of the University from North Carolina State College to the University of North Carolina at Raleigh.
The formerly non-degree granting School of General Studies is renamed the School of Liberal Arts, and receives authorization to award degrees. Fred V. Cahill becomes dean of the new school, serving in the position until 1971.
Twenty-three years after Gertrude Cox's appointment, Eloise Cofer, Extension Professor of Food Science and Assistant Director of the Agricultural Extension Service becomes the second woman to be appointed as a full professor. In 1980, Cofer was named Home Economist of the Year by the N.C. Home Economics Association.
North Carolina State College is renamed "North Carolina State of the University of North Carolina at Raleigh." The new name was met with discontent by faculty members, who labelled it awkward and embarrassing.
A computer created by professors from NC State and built at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology at a cost of $50,000 has arrived on campus. The computer, named Lincy, greeted professors with the message, "I want to be here," and will be used in experiments to measure the distance between heart beats, blood pressure, and brain waves.
The university produces, for the first time, a "Report on the Status of Women Students."
President Lyndon Johnson made a campaign speech before an audience of 13,000 people in Reynolds Coliseum. The president warned that a victory for opponent Barry Goldwater would mean cuts in farm programs.
The Faculty Senate votes to abolish compulsory ROTC. Prior to this date, all male students were required to take military training.
Due to declining health, Men's Basketball coach Everett Case resigns. Case compiled a 379-134 record at NC State.
A groundbreaking ceremony takes place for the construction of Carter Stadium (later Carter-Finley). It was named for Nick and Harry Carter.
The University of North Carolina at Raleigh is renamed the North Carolina State University at Raleigh.
The Water Resources Research Institute, a joint federal-state program for the UNC System, is established at NC State.
The Triangle Universities Computation Center is established by NC State, Duke University, and UNC-Chapel Hill in Research Triangle Park. It is one of the world's largest university computing centers.
Ad hoc Committee on Computer Science formed to include a faculty member each from the departments of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Economics, Industrial Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Statistics, and the director of the Computer Center, Paul E. Lewis
Dorothy Williams becomes the first African-American instructor with faculty ranking, teaching in the Department of Sociology and Anthropology.
Extension programs, including 4-H and Home Economics, began to integrate.
The original Pullen Hall is destroyed by a fire, which a former student later admitted to setting. Pullen Hall was built in 1902, and was the center of campus activities in the early twentieth century. It was located on the site of the present-day Peele Hall parking lot. A few years later, another building on campus was built and named Pullen Hall.
The final football game is played in Riddick Stadium. Members of the football team mob Harold Deters after he kicks the winning field goal against Florida State, resulting in a final score of 3-0.
Doak Field opens as the new facility for the baseball team.
Norma Wright Garcia becomes the first African-American female to receive an undergraduate degree, earning a BA in history.
NC State received its first NSF grant to create a science development plan in order to strengthen faculties in the biosciences; support materials, mechanics and electrotechnics in engineering; and support the social sciences.
Men's basketball coach Everett Case passed away on this date. His record at NC State was 378-133, and he led the team in numerous Southern Conference and ACC championships. At his funeral, his last recruiting class of players served as pallbearers. In 2012 he was inducted into the NC State Athletics Hall of Fame.
Norman Sloan was hired as the new head basketball coach at NC State. Sloan, who was a player on Everett Case's first basketball team at State (1946-1947), went on to become the second winningest coach in NC State men's basketball history, behind Case. His record included the 1974 NCAA championship. In 1980 he left NC State to coach the the University of Florida team. He was inducted into the NC State Athletics Hall of Fame in 2013.
Carter Stadium, as it was originally known, opened as the football team took on South Carolina; the stadium was dedicated during a halftime ceremony.
The Cooperating Raleigh Colleges program is established by the libraries of NC State, Meredith College, Shaw University, Peace College, St. Mary's College, and St. Augustine College. The program allows direct borrowing of library resources among the six campuses.
Stephen Benton Latimer receives a PhD in Animal Science, becoming the first African-American to earn a doctoral degree from NC State.
Marcus Martin becomes the first African-American player to join the football team.
Alfred "Al" Heartley and William Cooper became the first African-American members of the freshman basketball team. Heartley later went on to play on the varsity team.
Heartley was one of the first African Americans on the basketball team. In 1969 he became the first African-American to be awarded a basketball scholarship at NC State. He later became the first African-American captain of the team (1970-1971), and the first African-American to win the Alumni Athletics trophy (1971).
The NC State football team defeated the University of Georgia in the Liberty Bowl, 14-7. This was NC State's first bowl game win.
A majority of Riddick Stadium is demolished to make room for more parking on campus. SAS Hall now stands on the site Riddick Stadium once occupied.
Leftwich was recruited to the basketball team. He was the first African American freshman to receive a basketball scholarship.
The Apollo VIII spacecraft launches, becoming the first human spaceflight mission to escape Earth's gravitational field; many NC State alumni and faculty play a role in both the development and launch of the spacecraft.
Twenty-six NC State alumni, all employees of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), play a key role in the voyage of the Apollo 11 space mission, which is successful in placing the first men on the moon.
Clyde Chesney becomes the first African-American to receive a football scholarship.
Eric Moore became the first African American Student Senate President.
NC State responds to a call for campus protests nationwide, as a "moratorium" against the Vietnam War. A faculty-student committee organizes a Vietnam Symposium, with Chancellor John Caldwell as keynote speaker and several faculty members talking on the impact of the war.
First female Student Body President
Willie Burden and Charley Young become the first African-Americans to receive football scholarships as incoming freshmen.
James H. Goodnight receives an appointment as an assistant statistician in the new Department of Statistics. Over the next several years, Goodnight, a statistics student named John Sall, and others would lay the groundwork for what would become SAS. Today, SAS is one of the largest software providers in the world.
Cathy Sterling is elected Student Body President, becoming the first woman to hold a major campus student elective post. During her presidency, Sterling led the student body in a retreat to protest the invasion of Cambodia. Her report, "Due to Circumstances Beyond Our Control," resulted in a greater student role in the spending of student fees. Sterling says of her decision to run for student body president, "A few weeks before the election, a few ... More
NC State students hold a convocation on the Brickyard in the aftermath of U.S. expansion of the Vietnam War into Cambodia, and the death of four Kent State University students in Ohio. The following day, nearly 6,000 students from NC State and other colleges protest by marching on the State Capitol.
Jane Carol Pickard becomes the first female valedictorian.
Augustus M. Witherspoon becomes the second African American to earn a Ph.D. (in Botany) from NC State, and the first African American to receive a doctoral degree and go on to join the faculty.
Seven students found a local chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha, making it NC State's first African-American fraternity.
The Division of Student Affairs hires an African American counselor, makes financial aid available to African American students, and encourages African American cultural programs.
The International Potato Center is established in Peru by NC State and the Peruvian government, in an effort to increase the world's supply of white potatoes.
The light mural (later known as the Color Wall) in D. H. Hill Library was activated for the first time, but not yet fully completed. The mural was created by Joe Cox, a faculty member in the School of Design.
The first Pan-Afrikan Festival began and continued until April 2 that year. The festival featured lectures by C. T. Vivian and other speakers, as well as musical performances. This has been an annual event since then.
NC State publishes "In a Black Perspective." This pamphlet tallies the university's black community at nine professors and 222 students (out of a total 13,809), and lists courses focusing on black history and culture: two in Political Science and one on race relations in Sociology.
The UNC System is created, with NC State as one of the constituent campuses. A Board of Governors is established at the system level, but a new Board of Trustees is instituted at NC State to oversee matters specific to the university.
William Maxwell becomes an assistant dean in the School of Education, making him NC State's first African-American academic administrator.
NC State enrollment for the fall term hits a new record of 13,800.
The NC State Football team beats West Virginia in the Peach Bowl, 49-13.
Nannette Smith Henderson becomes the first African-American woman to be awarded a Ph.D. at NC State, with a degree in Plant Pathology.
David Thompson was named NC State's first African-American All-American winner in basketball. In 2012 he was inducted into the NC State Athletics Hall of Fame.
NC State becomes an equal opportunity employer and enacts an affirmative action plan.
The university's affirmative action plan is informally accepted by HEW.
A Women's Basketball team is established for the first time. The team included two African American women, Gwen Jenkins and Cynthia Steele.
Rajendra Pachauri was awarded a Doctor of Philosophy degree. He had previously earned a Master of Science degree in 1972. Later, in 2007, he shared the Nobel Peace Prize.
NC State defeats Marquette, 76-64, in the finals of the NCAA Basketball Tournament in Greensboro, NC, to win the 1974 National Championship. Junior forward David Thompson is named the Tournament MVP. The Wolfpack also receive key contributions from Tom Burleson, Monte Towe, Tim Stoddard, and Mo Rivers during the championship run.
Men's Gymnastics and Women's Softball and Volleyball begin varsity play.
Statistics professor Gertrude Cox is elected to the National Academy of Sciences.
Barbara Parramore becomes the second female department head, leading the Department of Curriculum and Instruction at its founding.
A chapter of Delta Sigma Theta is established, becoming the first African-American sorority chapter on campus.
Dr. John T. Caldwell retired after 15 years as NC State's chancellor. Caldwell oversaw a period of unprecedented growth for the university: of the nearly 47,000 degrees awarded in the first 85 years of the university, two-thirds were earned during Caldwell's tenure.
Book, periodical, and binding expenditures exceed $1,000,000 in a fiscal year for the first time.
Rigney served as interim chancellor after Chancellor Caldwell retired and before Chancellor Thomas took the position. (Biography of Jackson Rigney)
Swimmers Steve Gregg and Dan Harrigan win medals for the United States at the Summer Olympics in Montreal.
Joab L. Thomas became the ninth chancellor of NC State. During his administration, enrollment at the university surpassed 20,000 students for the first time, and the College of Veterinary Medicine was established. He left NC State in 1981 to become president of the University of Alabama. (Biography of Joab Thomas)
Susan Yow becomes the first NC State female to be named an All-American athlete.
Mary E. (Betty) Wheeler becomes head of the Department of History, and only the third female to hold a position of department head at NC State.
Chancellor Joab Thomas held the first Brotherhood Dinner, honoring Samual Nesbritt. The dinner was institutionalized as an annual event under Chancellor Bruce Poulton in 1982.
Ted Brown becomes the first African-American named an All-American in football. In 2012 he was inducted into the NC State Athletics Hall of Fame.
The NC State Women's Basketball team participates in the first-ever Atlantic Coast Conference Women's Basketball tournament as the top seed. NC State lost in the championship game to Maryland.
The Women's Cross Country team wins the first of back-to-back national championships (1979 and 1980).
Worth T. Blackwood retires after twenty years as Security Chief at NC State. During Blackwood's tenure, the security force grew from seven to twenty-two officers.
Women's Cross Country runner Julie Shea is awarded the Broderick Cup by the Association for Intercollegiate Athletics for Women (AIAW), as the most outstanding athlete of the year.
The State Climate Office of North Carolina finds a permanent home in PAMS. The office had been established as part of the UNC System in 1976, and was primarily housed at UNC-Chapel Hill. Since moving to NC State, the office has grown into the primary source for North Carolina weather and climate information and for climate-related research, education and extension services.
Evelyn Reiman, assistant director of student development, sponsors the first NC State Women's Week-- a series of afternoon and evening programs for campus women.
Julie Shea wins the first of two consecutive ACC Athlete of the Year awards, and becomes the first woman to receive the Alumni Athletics trophy at NC State.
A ceremony marks the beginning of the new Wolfline bus service on campus. The service initially has only one route, intended to serve students who live off-campus.
NC State beats UNC-Wilmington, 83-59, in Jim Valvano's debut as head Men's Basketball coach.
D.H. Hill Library holdings reached 1,000,000 volumes.
Winstead served as interim chancellor after Chancellor Thomas left the university and before Chancellor Poulton took the position. (Biography of Nash Winstead)
Ada B. Dalla Pozza becomes the first woman to serve as president of the Faculty Club (now the University Club).
Mr. Wuf and Ms. Wuf were married in a mock wedding ceremony by the Wake Forest Demon Deacon mascot during halftime of a Men's Basketball game at Reynolds Coliseum. The two were joined in "canis matrimonium," and Chancellor Joab Thomas gave the bride away.
NC State's new School of Veterinary Medicine holds classes for the first time; initial enrollment is 40 students, selected from 126 applicants.
Poulton became the tenth Chancellor of NC State and the third scientist to lead the institution. Under his leadership the university acquired and began to develop Centennial Campus. Poulton served as chancellor until 1989, and he later became director of the university's Literacy Systems Center. (Biography of Bruce Poulton)
Katherine W. Klein, Associate Professor of Psychology, becomes the first female faculty member to be named an Alumni Distinguished Professor.
Approximately 8,000 women students are enrolled in a student body of 22,632. More than one third of the undergraduates are women, the highest percentage of women to be enrolled at NC State to that date.
The North Carolina State University Physical and Mathematical Science Foundation, more commonly known as the PAMS Foundation, is established. The mission of the foundation, which has grown its endowment from $245,000 to more than $10 million, is to promote the educational, research and service programs of the College through personal advocacy and by securing private funding for priority programs.
The Men's Basketball team wins the 1983 ACC Championship.
Lead by Head Coach Jim Valvano, the Mens Basketball team wins the 1983 NCAA championship.
The NCSU Libraries became a member of the prestigious Association of Research Libraries (ARL).
Lee Smith, Assistant Professor of English, becomes the first female faculty member to receive a North Carolina Award, receiving an award in literature.
North Carolina Governor (and NC State alumnus) James B. Hunt, Jr., alloted the initial 355-acre parcel of land for the university's Centennial Campus. The land had previously been part of the Dorothea Dix hospital.
Sondra L. Kirsch, Associate Professor of Recreation Resources Administration becomes the first woman to chair the NC State Faculty Senate.
The Men's 4x100 Meter relay team win the NCAA championship.
President Reagan promoted tax reform during a speech in Reynolds Coliseum. Afterwards the president met with students, and Student Body President Jay Everette gained notoriety when he asked reporters to respect the students' time with the president.
Debra W. Stewart was appointed interim dean of the Graduate School, the first female dean and the first woman to serve as dean of the Graduate School. Her appointment became permanent in 1988. She served as dean until 2000.
The degrees are earned by Melinda Hollingshead in August and Cathy Carlson in December.
Eight of the university's academic schools are redesignated as colleges.
"The NCSU Libraries" becomes the official name of the library system, encompassing the D. H. Hill Library and the four branch libraries (Design, Natural Resources, Textiles, and Veterinary Medicine).
In fall 1988, NC State implemented an African-American Studies minor, the first of its kind at the university. The interdisciplinary minor required students to take courses in both history and English literature.
Kay Yow, Women's Basketball coach, coaches the winning Women's Basketball team in the 1988 Olympics.
Kaye Gibbons, former NC State student, becomes the NCSU Libraries' first author-in-residence.
Elizabeth C. Theil becomes the first woman at NC State to hold a named professorship, and is honored with the University of North Carolina's O. Max Gardner Award.
The first FOL booksale was held in 1988.
The Mars Mission Research Center is established. This is a cooperative effort between NC State and NC A&T State University.
The building that later was named Research I was first occupied.
Nora Lynn Finch, associate athletics director, is inducted into the Women's Sports Hall of Fame.
The Women's Studies Program is established, with Barbara Risman as its first director.
The Women's Resource Coalition is formed as an outgrowth of the Women Students Advisory Board, organized in the fall of 1988.
The Board of Trustees adopts a racial harassment policy.
This position was also called Facilitator of African-American Affairs. It was first held by Dr. Augustus Witherspoon.
NCSU Libraries began using the current logo.
Christine Grant (Chemical Engineering) becomes the first African-American female faculty member appointed in the College of Engineering.
The NCSU Libraries celebrates its 100th anniversary in a ceremony that includes planting three Yoshino cherry trees in front of the east wing of the building.
The Information Technologies Teaching Center (ITTC) is established in the D. H. Hill Library, initially funded through a gift from the Class of 1990.
The first campus-wide newsletter on women's issues, The Newsstand, is published.
The Men's Soccer team wins their first ACC championship. Henry Gutierrez scored the game-winning goal.
After serving as interim chancellor for several months, Larry K. Monteith was chosen by the UNC system Board of Governors to fill the position on a permanent basis. He served until retirement in 1998. (Biography of Larry Monteith)
President Bush toured three physics labs that focused on semiconductor and microelectronics research and joined a roundtable discussion on international competitiveness in high-tech industries.
The new College of Textiles building on Centennial Campus opened its doors in 1991. The new building included computer facilities, heavy machinery processing laboratories, classrooms, meeting spaces, administrative offices, and the Burlington Textiles Library, and represented an approximate 50% increase in net usable space over the Nelson and David Clark Laboratory facilities.
In conjunction with the move of the College of Textiles, the Burlington Textile Library moved to Centennial Campus, making it the first library unit on the new campus. It remained in the College of Textiles complex until December 2012, when the collections were moved into the Hunt Library.
PAMS establishes The Science House to provide hands-on science opportunities to K-12 students. Today, The Science House is a national model for the interaction of university science departments and K-12 students and teachers. Through its main office on Centennial Campus, five satellite offices throughout the state, and its online presence, The Science House annually impacts 5,000 teachers and 35,000 students across North Carolina and beyond.
The Women's Center opened with Jan Rogers as its coordinator. Rogers began the Women's Leadership Education and Action Program (LEAP), which aimed to enhance the experience of women in nontraditional fields such as math, science, and engineering.
African American Cultural Center opened in the new Student Center Annex (later renamed Witherspoon Student Center). In 1992, following months of student and faculty protests, NCSU administrators granted the African American Cultural Center an operating budget.
Before a crowd of 1,300 people, the former president raised questions about the United States handling of Iraq's invasion of Kuwait in 1990, and he called for the U.S. and Soviet Union to organize an international peace conference to resolve the conflict between Israel and the Palestinians.
Asea Brown Boveri (ABB) moves into Centennial Campus, becoming the first corporate tenant there.
The Public Safety office unveils a new bicycle patrol. Officers feel that the bicycles have advantages over patrol cars, including "mobility, stealth, and speed."
The Sista 2 Sistuh Network is established to support African-American women at NC State.
James Anderson becomes the Dean of Undergraduate Studies, making him the first African-American dean.
The UNC Board of Governors authorizes the establishment of the College of Management at NC State. The college was formed out of what had previously been the Division of Economics and Business in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences. During the college's first year, Robert L. Clark served as interim dean.
The Board of Trustees established the Alexander Quarles Holladay Medal for Excellence to honor NC State faculty members who have made outstanding contributions to the university through achievements in research, teaching, or extension and engagement.
Presidential candidate Bill Clinton addressed 600 people in Stewart Theatre. He announced his support for the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).
The Nubian Message began publication in response to student protests alleging racial bias by the Technician. Tony Williamson served as the paper’s first editor-in-chief. The paper was first released in Talley Student Center. In the inaugural issue, Williamson stated his intention to "totally, truthfully, and faithfully cover every aspect of African American life at NCSU" and his hope that the Nubian Message would become "the media voice for African ... More
Known as "Jimmy V," men's basketball coach Jim Valvano died on this date after battling cancer. His record at NC State was 209-114 and included the 1983 NCAA championship and 2 ACC titles. The Jimmy V Foundation for Cancer Research was founded in his honor. In 2012 he was inducted into the NC State Athletics Hall of Fame.
The NCSU Libraries begins twenty-four hour service (Sunday through Thursday), funded by university tuition-increase revenue that faculty advocated be allocated to the Libraries.
Katharine Stinson, the first woman to graduate from NC State's School of Engineering, has a street named after her. Katharine Stinson Drive, formerly North Yarbrough Drive, is one of the longest streets on campus.
A groundbreaking ceremony was held for the new Raleigh Entertainment and Sports Arena, located next to Carter-Finley Stadium, which was being built as the new home of NC State Men's Basketball and the NHL's Carolina Hurricanes. This became the RBC Center and, later, the PNC Arena.
She served in the position until 2004, when she left to become chancellor of the University of California, San Diego. (Biography of Marye Anne Fox)
The Women's Basketball team reaches the Final Four in the NCAA tournament.
The NC State Men's Basketball team beats Georgia, 67-63, in their first game at the PNC Arena (formerly the RBC Center).
University administration creates the position of Vice Provost for Diversity and African-American Affairs (heading the Office of Diversity and African-American Affairs). One stated goal of this position is to improve the experience of black students and other minorities.
Peaches Simpkins is named the first female chair of the university's Board of Trustees.
North Carolina voters approved the Higher Education Facilities Financing Act. NC State's portion of the bond package (more than $468 million) resulted in four dozen construction projects on campus, including new classrooms and laboratories, as well as major renovations of many older buildings.
Former NC State Chancellor Carey Hoyt Bostian dies at the age of 93.
The Technician becomes a daily publication during the academic semesters for the first time.
134 NC State athletes are named to the ACC's 50th Anniversary Teams in twenty-one sports.
The African-American Student Advisory Council begins issuing report cards grading the university on enrollment, retention, and graduation of African-American students. The report card gave NCSU an F for recruiting black students.
NC State Women's Basketball coach Kay Yow was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame at a ceremony in Springfield, MA.
Jim Riviere becomes the first faculty member elected to the Institute of Medicine of the National Academies.
The Women in Science and Engineering (WISE) program is established with 56 freshman women with majors in PAMS and the College of Engineering. As of 2009, this "living and learning village" has a full complement of 256 women majoring in five colleges across campus, and a high school chapter has been established at the North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics.
The Department of Biomedical Engineering is established, co-located at UNC-Chapel Hill's School of Medicine and NC State's College of Engineering.
Barnhardt served as interim chancellor after Chancellor Fox left the university and before Chancellor Oblinger took the position. (Biography of Bob Barnhardt)
Swimmer Cullen Jones wins a gold medal in the 50-meter freestyle at the World University Games.
He served in the position until 2009. (Biography of Jim Oblinger)
Enrollment was more that 30,000 students in the fall semester this year.
After being established in 2003, the Friday Institute moved into its new facility in Nov. 2005
NC State Women's Basketball coach Kay Yow celebrated her 700th win. The Wolfpack beat Florida State, 68-51. Yow eventually racked up 737 wins (at NC State and Elon), making her the fifth winningest NCAA Division I basketball coach.
Presidential candidate Barack Obama appeared before a crowd at Reynolds Coliseum shortly after defeating rivals in the Democratic presidential primaries.
Legendary women's basketball coach Kay Yow passed away after a long battle with cancer. One of the few women to coach more than 1,000 games at one institution, her NC State record was 680-325. Hoops 4 Hope and the Kay Yow Cancer Fund was initiated to raise money for cancer research. In 2012 she was inducted into the NC State Athletics Hall of Fame.
Former President Bill Clinton addressed 6,000 people, stating that the world would best find its way to peace and prosperity through communitarianism.
Woodward served as interim chancellor after Chancellor Oblinger stepped down and before Chancellor Woodson took the position. (Biography of Jim Woodward)
Woodson had previously been executive vice president for academic affairs and provost at Purdue University. (Biography of Randy Woodson)
The College of Management is renamed the Lonnie C. Poole Jr. College of Management. Lonnie C. Poole, Jr., is founder of Waste Industries USA, Inc.
President Barack Obama spoke before an audience in Reynolds Coliseum. During the speech he promoted the American Jobs Act.
The library was named in honor of former four-term N.C. Governor and NC State alumnus James B. Hunt Jr. Also housed in the building is the Institute for Emerging Issues.
The College of Sciences was established, combining programs from the former College of Physical and Mathematical Sciences with several biological science programs from the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.
NC State began partnering with the National Security Agency to create a $60 million lab.
The donation provided additional funding for the Park Scholars program.
President Obama announces the establishment of the Next Generation Power Electronics Innovation Institute, based at NC State, with $140 million in federal funding including $70 million from the Department of Energy.