One of the most significant contributions to the war effort is the Diesel Program, developed by the Mechanical Engineering Department. The program trains more than 1,500 members of the Navy.
Reference Librarian Reba Clevenger became the acting college librarian during World War II, when all male library staff members left for military service. Library Director Harlan Brown took a leave of absence until 1946.
The faculty approves a plan to allow seniors who are taking jobs in essential industries or joining the military to graduate early.
The faculty approve a plan to hold fall engineering classes in the summer as part of a nationwide war effort to accelerate graduation at technical schools for the benefit of the war effort.
Increased enrollment by women needed in engineering courses; urgent appeals are made as the male students leave to fight in the war.
Students hold a blood drive to support the war effort.
Students gather over 150,000 pounds of scrap metal in 3 hours for the war effort; a banner over the collection pile reads "To Hitler & Co. from NC State College."
Plans are announced for up to 2,000 military trainees to enroll at State College to take specialized defense classes through the United States War Department; the college will operate as two separate units: one for the military and one civilians.
Col. John Harrelson, Dean of Administration, reports for active Army duty; he becomes the 56th faculty member at State College to enter active service and the first head of a major college in the South to be called for permanent active duty.
Enrollment hits the lowest mark in 20 years, due to the number of students leaving to join the military.
During World War II, State College formed a partnership with the U.S. Navy to train naval officers in diesel engineering. The Diesel Building was constructed to house this project. It was designed by Ross Edward Shumaker and became part of Broughton Hall in 1951.
Over 5,000 NC State alumni reported to be serving in the Armed Services, six of whom have obtained the rank of General.
Fifty-eight women are enrolled at NC State, many taking advantage of special scholarships to provide engineering training to women so they can work in industry during World War II.
The 1945 Agromeck is printed and released late, due to wartime restrictions.
More than 75 trailers (forming what was known as the "City of Trailers" or "Trailwood") were constructed so that married WWII veterans and their families could attend NC State on the GI Bill. In 1949, Trailwood was relocated, and Williams Hall was built in its place.
A football game against Duke marks the first appearance of the marching band following the conclusion of World War II.