The very earliest sports teams at NC State wore pink and blue, colors chosen by the literary societies.
There wasn't a consistent name for the sport teams during the early decades of the college. Names such as "Farmers and Mechanics," "Aggies," and "Techs" were used loosely.
The Athletic Association approved brown and white as colors for the sports teams. Use of these colors was very short-lived.
A majority of students chose red and white as colors for the sports teams. The colors changed a couple different times during the early years of the college. The faculty agreed to the adoption of red and white and stated that they could not be changed again without a vote of two-thirds of the student body. The colors have remained the same ever since.
Basketball, sponsored by the campus YMCA, began in the fall of 1910.
The nickname "Wolfpack" was first used for the football team. One story has an alumnus writing to the Technician complaining that the football team was "unruly as a pack of wolves."
Class of 1923 alumni Alvin M. Fountain and Bonnie Frank Norris composed the Alma Mater song.
By 1925, the basketball team was known as the "Red Terrors."
Chancellor J. W. Harrelson asked students to suggest a new name for the sports teams. He disliked the term Wolfpack because of connotations with World War II German U-boat formations. Student voted overwhelmingly, however, to keep the name.
Mechanical engineering student Ira Helms, Jr., created a robot-like Wolfpack mascot costume worn to football games during the 1946 season. One student wore the costume, while another walked behind with a "remote control" that appears to control the "robot's" movements.
All NC State athletics teams adopt Wolfpack as the official name. Previously only the football team was called the Wolfpack, and other sports teams were called the Red Terrors.
Students brought a live timber wolf to football games to roam the sidelines. UPI called the animal a "sniping and snarling bundle of fur." It was eventually sold to a traveling animal show.
During the 1950s, cheerleaders began to dress in a wolf costume at sports events.
After the introduction of women's athletics, costumes are created for a female version of the wolf mascot.
The male mascot was named Mr. Wuf. One story has it that a student wearing the costume tried to have "Mr. Wolf" sewn on the jersey, but because there wasn't enough room it was shortened to "Mr. Wuf." Soon after the female version of the mascot was named "Ms. Wuf."
Mr. Wuf and Ms. Wuf were married in a mock wedding ceremony by the Wake Forest Demon Deacon mascot during halftime of a Men's Basketball game at Reynolds Coliseum. The two were joined in "canis matrimonium," and Chancellor Joab Thomas gave the bride away.
A Tamaskan dog named Tuffy became the new live mascot. This breed of dog resembles the wolf-like Siberian husky.