College of Physical and Mathematical Sciences

College of Physical and Mathematical Sciences
Please note that some historical materials may contain harmful content and/or descriptions. Learn how we’re addressing it.

1920s

6/7/1927 First degrees conferred to women

The first degrees are conferred to women at NC State. Recipients are Jane McKimmon, BS in business administration; Charlotte Nelson, BS in education; and Mary Elizabeth Yarbrough, MS in chemistry. Yarbrough was the first woman to graduate who completed all coursework while at NC State, and she was the first woman to earn a master's degree at NC State.

Charlotte Ruth Nelson portraitCharlotte Ruth Nelson portrait

1950s

1952 LeRoy Martin awarded Master of Engineering Mathematics degree

LeRoy Martin was awarded a Master of Engineering Mathematics degree. He later helped to establish the computer science program at NC State.

9/5/1953 Nuclear reactor went into operation

The R-1 reactor was the first non-government-run nuclear reactor in the world and the first designed, built, and operated by an academic institution. Design and construction had begun in 1950. It was the first of four reactors operated at NC State. More information on the nuclear reactor program can be found on the departmental website.

Burlington reactor, 1950sBurlington reactor, 1950s
5/23/1955 Burlington Nuclear Laboratories dedicated

The Burlington Nuclear Laboratories building was dedicated. Located within the building was the first non-government-run nuclear reactor.

Burlington Nuclear Laboratories, the focus of nuclear activities on the North Carolina State College campusBurlington Nuclear Laboratories, the focus of nuclear activities on the North Carolina State College campus

1960s

7/1/1960 School of Physical Science and Applied Mathematics established
1960 Arthur Clayton Menius, Jr.

Menius becomes the first dean of the School of Physical Science and Applied Mathematics (later renamed Physical and Mathematical Sciences). He serves in the position until 1981. He had previously been head of the Dept. of Physics.

Dean Arthur C. Menius portraitDean Arthur C. Menius portrait
1964 General Labs Building built

The General Labs Building originally housed the administrative offices for the School of Physical and Mathematical Sciences, as well as the Departments of Physics and Statistics. In 1970, it was renamed Cox Hall in honor of Gertrude Mary Cox, professor emeritus of experimental statistics.

Cox HallCox Hall
4/19/1968 Riddick Stadium demolished

A majority of Riddick Stadium was demolished to make room for more parking on campus. SAS Hall was built on the site Riddick Stadium once occupied.

Famed figures from Riddick Stadium's colorful past at ceremony marking the end of the 50-year-old structureFamed figures from Riddick Stadium's colorful past at ceremony marking the end of the 50-year-old structure
1969 School of Physical and Mathematical Sciences

The School of Physical Sciences and Applied Mathematics (PSAM) is renamed the School of Physical and Mathematical Sciences (PAMS).

1980s

1980 State Climate Office of North Carolina relocates

The State Climate Office of North Carolina finds a permanent home in PAMS. The office had been established as part of the UNC System in 1976, and was primarily housed at UNC-Chapel Hill. Since moving to NC State, the office has grown into the primary source for North Carolina weather and climate information and for climate-related research, education and extension services.

1981 Garrett Briggs becomes PAMS Dean

Geology professor Garrett Briggs is named the School of Physical and Mathematical Sciences' second dean. Briggs served until 1988, leaving NC State to serve as president of Peace College until his retirement from academics in 1998.

1983 PAMS Foundation established

The North Carolina State University Physical and Mathematical Science Foundation, more commonly known as the PAMS Foundation, is established. The mission of the foundation, which has grown its endowment from $245,000 to more than $10 million, is to “promote the educational, research and service programs of the College … through personal advocacy … and by securing private funding for priority programs.”

1987 Schools became colleges

Eight of the university's academic schools were designated as colleges.

1988 Department of Computer Science transferred

The Department of Computer Science is transferred from the College of Physical and Mathematical Sciences to the College of Engineering.

1988 Jerry Whitten becomes PAMS's third dean

Chemistry professor Jerry Whitten becomes PAMS's third dean.

Dean Whitten (PAMS)Dean Whitten (PAMS)

1990s

1991 PAMS established the Science House

The College of Physical and Mathematical Sciences (PAMS) established the Science House to provide hands-on science opportunities to K-12 students. The Science House later expanded to a main office on Centennial Campus and five satellite offices throughout the state.

1999 First Realizing Possibilities event

PAMS hosts its first Realizing Possibilities event. This annual event offers members of the College community a chance to thank those teachers, donors and others who have helped them succeed through their generosity, leadership and commitment to the advancement of the physical and mathematical sciences.

1999 College History

Jasper Memory wrote History of the College of Physical and Mathematical Sciences, 1960-1999. A print edition exists in the library.

2000s

2000 Department of Molecular and Structural Biochemistry relocated

Department of Molecular and Structural Biochemistry relocated from the College of Physical and Mathematical Sciences to the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.

2000 Daniel L. Solomon becomes fourth dean of PAMS

Statistics professor Daniel L. Solomon is named the fourth dean of the College.

2001 Paul Roelle awarded Ph.D.

Paul Roelle was awarded a Ph.D. He had previously earned a Master of Science degree (1996). He later became a colonel in the U.S. Air Force and one of the top weather forecasters of that military branch.

2003 Women in Science and Engineering program established

The Women in Science and Engineering (WISE) program was established. Fifty-six freshman women with majors in PAMS and the College of Engineering joined the program in its first year. As of 2009, the "living and learning village" included 256 women majoring in five colleges across campus, and a high school chapter was established at the North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics.

2005 First Scope Academy

The College hosts its first Scope Acadamy. Originally known as Alumni and Friends Weekend, the event provides an opportunity for fans of the sciences as well as alumni, friends, faculty and students of PAMS to connect with each other and the College while learning about the latest advances in our disciplines. In less than five years, the program has become the premier science education outreach program at NC State.

2010s

7/1/2013 College of Physical and Mathematical Sciences superceded by College of Sciences